Fishing for the Bowfin...

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Fishing for the Bowfin...

Postby tr889 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:34 pm

I was just wondering if you (Larry) or anyone here has had any experience or opinions on Bowfin. I have fished several lakes with them in it and have seen them gulp at the surface but have never got one to hit. Thanks, love the show.
tr889

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:47 am

hi tr,
I love bowfins! Use a slow, steady, wide wobble retrieve that just make a wake on the surface. Lures like an old bass a reno work pretty well fished over muddy shallow flats early in the season before they congest.
I've also done well in reeds and flooded poplar, sight fishing for them "doodle-socking" em with pig and jig. quietly dangle it in front of their nose and they gulp it!
Have fun. They'll give you a better tussle than a largemouth!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby megafriday » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:51 pm

We catch quite a few in the Santee Cooper (SC) lakes on cut bait while fishing for catfish. Just need to be near flooded cypress trees or aquatic vegetation.
megafriday

Postby Questor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:18 pm

I call them freshwater tarpon. Catching a 8 to 10 pounder in shallow water is a blast. They are my favorite freshwater sportfish. I usually fish for them during summer, in shallow water near deadfalls. Good old Texas rigged plastic worms work just fine.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions