Hard Plastic Hollow cavity

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Hard Plastic Hollow cavity

Postby Booker » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 am

Ok so I'm working on this large 16oz soft plastic lure and I need to make a hollow cavity inside the lure. I need to remove some volume from the top half of the lure. ( Might make it a rattel chamber to? Idk yet)

I'm thinking what will work best for me is to create hard plastic shell the size of the cavity I want. Since my lure is a through wire design I can just attach it to the wire.

I need a recommendation for what plastic I could use for this. It's got to be strong especially since it's going to be thin. The hard plastic has to also be able to withstand the heat of 350f hot plastisol.

Any ideas?
Booker

Re: Hard Plastic Hollow cavity

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm not totally clear on your idea but i assume the hollow part is to make it either lighter, more buoyant or both. If thats the case I would use Alumifoam for the insert and the guts that will hold the hook hanger. in other words, solid rather than hollow shell. For a shell the best material would be RC3 resin.
Might be better for me to give you the best advice if I had a better picture as to what you are trying to achieve.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Booker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks for that info. So the goal here is to create a cavity (I guess it doesn't have to be hollow) to reduce the weight of the bait and to shift the center of mass to the lower half of the lure. I do not want it to float really. Would the Alumifoam make it float to much? If not that would be great.
Booker

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:47 am

It will make it buoyant, but so will the air in your cavity, which, depending on thickness of cavity wall, would likely be more buoyant than foam. Also not as strong and much harder to construct!
YOu can also embed weight for balance/buoyancy to the foam before you pour your body around it.
Let me know how it turns out or if you have any other issues I can help you out with.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Booker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:53 am

Foam it is. Thanks. You the man!
Booker

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 am

A lot of soft swimbait makers who have top hook designs will have buoyant foam insert that has either resin or lead on the bottom to control their rate of fall. That way you can make a slow sinking bait.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Booker » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Very interesting
Booker

Return to Lure Making