TFD Big Fish Rods

General Questions

TFD Big Fish Rods

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Just back from battling golden dorado at La Zona. Used the TFD BFC 7ft 6in Mag 3. This rod handled the monster dorado without any problems. It was very hot in Argentina so casting giant poppers all day on this light rod really enable me to last the entire day. The rod loads up fast so I could cast the heavy poppers a country mile. Highly recommend this rod for big monster species! The water currently in La Zona is very low without much flow which makes the bite tough. However I was able to land a 48lbs and my buddy a 50lbs. Heading to the Chicago Fishing Show in a few weeks to buy another. 8)
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Re: TFD Big Fish Rods

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm

That sounds fun. Was the Mag 3 just right, or now that you have used it would a Mag 2 have been better?
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Bob Daly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm

HI AKA. The Mag 3 was perfect! Am going to buy another in a few weeks. Got a few of the spinning rod blanks finalized by Thorne Bros. Will be taking them to Misima Island in a few weeks to see if they hold up to the GTs and doggies.
doradokiller :shock:
Bob Daly

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Guys: Back from an excellent trip out in the Solomon Sea off of Misima Island Papua New Guinea. Took along the TFO Big Fish 2 piece spinning rod 86 P3 which Larry helped design. Great blank and can handle the GTs which most rods cannot. My largest was about 38 kgs on a popper. Also landed a few small dogtooth and about 13 other species. My partner landed a beautiful 85 lbs Napoleon Wrasse on a popper and had a big doggie eaten by a shark at the boat and another spool him after an hour battle. The TFO rod is highly recommended both for these saltwater species and big freshwater brutes like pike/ musky. Give TFO a shout and you probably could buy a blank as to my knowledge they have not put these spinning rods out for sale?
Thanks Larry for all the help and advice on this great trip!
Good fishing doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Glad you had a great trip and the rods worked well. Thanks for the pics you sent via email.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:19 am

Larry, looking to up grade my current Shimano compre Muskie rods for working the 8” wide glides , 8” ploppers, 8”-10” whiggley. I feel more comfortable casting with 7’6” rods in medium to small rivers. What length does the 7’6” break down in two pieces and is there a travel tube available with BFR.
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am

I'm with you on the rod length. The two power (or maybe three power if I was tossing mostly wide glides) in 7'6" or 8' is my go to. Main diff is the handle is a couple inches shorter on the 7'6", which gives you a little more "blade" length than you have with a longer handle.
They break down to around 4' or so. No tube included.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 am

Caja: I can vouch for the Big Fish Casting rods. I have used Power 3 7ft 6in for golden dorado at La Zona in Argentina. The handle section is about 35 1/2 inches while the upper section is about 59 inches. Very strong and super light weight so you can casting giant lures all day without getting exhausted! I also have a few Big Fish spinning rods which are also very good as used them in Papua New Guinea casting monster poppers for GTs. I believe they never went to the market but if interested am sure Larry could get you in contact with TFO to see if they have any blanks still in inventory.
Good fishing, doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Return to General Questions