Moving to Palau

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Moving to Palau

Postby kenadair » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Hey Larry Long time fan I grew up watching your show and always enjoy seeing you catch huge fish all over the world.

So I have the opportunity to move to Palau for a few years and want to do a lot of fishing for GTs and other reef fish. Wondering what you think about quantums boca 100 Ptse seems like its the only thing in my price range $100-150 that might be able to stop some bigger fish. I wanted to pair it with the tfo big fish rod but I dont see it available in anything other than the 1 power for spinning might have my friend strip down one of the casting rods and switch it up. Got all the sebile splashers(5) and large wide glides (2)I could find on ebay. Are the wide glides discontinued? Got some big sebile stick shadds too and tested them out here in Ft. pierce and caught about a 40lb goliath grouper on the floating 7 1/8in one and he bent the wire shaft pretty bad on the front hook and where the leaders is tied. Would adding swivels help prevent this because that grouper was really strong but I'm sure the GTs will be stronger.

Would you suggest 80lb or 100lb braid if I want a set up I could fish for big GTs and other fish not sure how common huge GTs are there. I was looking to get Jerry brown braid figured its probably a good idea to put my money in the line.
kenadair

Re: Moving to Palau

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 am

Hi K
Lucky you! I've heard good things about the quantum saltwater spin reel series but have not used them myself. I would bring a spare of anything you choose if possible. The Big Fish blanks can be had if you contact TFO directly. One of the forum members, Bob Daly (aka doradokiller) just had some built up for him by Thorne Brothers custom rods in Minneapolis. They have access to the blanks as well.
I'd bring a spool of either 80 or 100 Jerry Brown and plenty of hard mono for leader material. I don't think fluorocarbon is necessary.
The big wide glide will be out of production for a while. You're lucky to have snagged a few!
In most cases adding extra split ring will help solve the problem you refer to, but if a large fish gets the rear hooks in his lower jaw and the front hook in the top, it's almost impossible to keep things from bending if the fish starts opening ande closing its' mouth thrashing!
Safe travels! Hoping you have an unforgettable experience in Palau! btw, what brings you there if you don't mind my asking?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby kenadair » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 am

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the feedback I'll go ahead and order a spool of 100lb. I'll try to get two of the boca reels but if not I hvae my spinfisher v.

Well I'm really glad I got some of those big wide glides then. What size sebile splasher were you using I watched the gt episode last night and it looks bigger than mine which was the biggest I could find at 4in or so.

How long of a leader and type is ideal to get the best side to side action from the wide glide.

Moving out there to raise some really awesome fish species for a company called biota palau. Raising and restocking food fish like the humphead parrot fish, lutjanus bohar and rabbit fish. And also a lot of smaller reef fish for the aquarium trade. My finance is coming too and she'll be raising the giant clams and corals.

If you still want to fish palau give me a few months and I'll know all the spots haha. Hoping to get some of the smaller trevally species on fly.

Best Regards,

Kenneth
kenadair

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Kenadair: I use a Quantum CABO 120 PTSE along with a Daiwa Dogfight 8000H and Saltiga 6500H. The Quantum is a great reel and less than 1/2 of the cost of the Daiwa reels. You could probably get a really good deal if you look on ebay and other sites for this reel.
Will let everybody know how my Thorne Bros. Temple Forks Outfitters big game spinning rods handle hopefully some big GTs soon in Papua New Guinea.
Good fishing,
doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 am

Kenadair-

I have the largest sized Sebile splasher (its huge and bright orange w black stripes makes a big ruckus) I’ll happily donate to you so you can land some monsters. I only ask that you share some photos of big ones with the forum in return someday.

Email me at wheeler.rhett@yahoo.com
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Saltwater Questions