Molds and Alumifoam

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Molds and Alumifoam

Postby Caja » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 am

1)What is the preferred mold making material and thickness used around a master lure when using Alumifoam casting a two piece lure like jerkbait, crankbaits and topwater, belly is super plastic and body is Alumifoam. I have pound of quick set, rtv 3, and mold putty on hand. The master lure does not not need any detail or undercuts. Goal is to cut down flash and finish time sanding. I have prototype molds of lures using mold putty but there's a lot of Alumifoam flash at joint and around lip. In the past had small air bubbles in Rtv 3, would pressure pot help with joint flash and small air bubbles in making molds?
Caja

Re: Molds and Alumifoam

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm

I like quickset for alumifoam. I use painters tape to bind it up really well after pouring the mold roughly 50% full of alumifoam. 3/8" for thickness is more than enough if you bind it. Depending on the size of lure you can probably get away w less thickness.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Caja » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Caja

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 am

Nice! Those look great.

You can also sand it in rough areas just like the white casting resin- with alimifoam I like to sand my rough spots then coat all of the alumifoam areas with super glue using nitrile gloves and a sacrificial cheap brush- it dries very quickly and seals some small pockets of air- once that’s dried I take some like 150 or higher grit sand paper and just give it a light scuff and tack off the dust so the paint holds well. Then you’re ready for your final epoxy coat.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 am

But Judging by your final product I think you have it under control :lol:
RhettWheeler

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Caja ... Nice work! How do these run? Do you have a weight or percentage of AlumiRes that you put in the bottom or do you vary them? Can you post a pic of your mold?

thx,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Looks good Caja, looks really good.

We could sure use your help on TackleUnderground.com when we discuss working with Alumifoam.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Caja » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks, high strength 3 for the bottom mold allows you to use different size and shape of bills. The top mold of quick set is firm enough to control the expansion of Alumifoam flash. I usually cast bottom mold up to lip with super plastic and top mold with Alumifoam. Light sanding 200 grit and cleaning of eyelets. The Jigskinz product large and x-larger works great for quick easy finishing, usually can finish 2 crankbaits with one Jigskinz cut in half, just add eyes to second lure.
Mike all of the crankbaits run true except for unfinished lures in previous post, need to reshape lip to squarebill. The line tie for longer round bill needs to be 2/3 to 1/2 from end of bill/lip. The line tie eyelet height position for squarebill is key for best vibration and wandering action. November was great PB smallmouth and spotted bass. December was going good for numbers on squarebills. Been tinkering with 20+ feet Magnum suspending crankbait and 5" to 7" suspending jerkbaits. None of the high end jerkbait on the market will suspend with 2x and 3x trebles and xstrong split rings. Jerkbaits and crankbaits made with make lure products will suspend with upgraded hooks and split rings.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PFdIi ... f7hKAbtLTG
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mro5bR ... p=drivesdk
Caja

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 am

You definitely have something good going on here- great to see a lot of tinkering w the hard resins! I’m a fan of your work.
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making