Lipless Crankbait

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lipless Crankbait

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Hey Larry Or Mike,I've Been Trying To Make A Lipless Crankbait For Awhile Now And I Can't Get It Right,I Mix Super Plastic And Tungsten Powder Together And Tilt The Mold Forward And Super Plastic With A Little Micro Balloons For The Body And It Doesn't Have Any Action At All What Am I Doing Wrong
bassfighter1

Re: Lipless Crankbait

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Obviously I am not Mike or Larry, but ......

Can you save a photo and give us a link so we can see it? That can make a huge difference. Because we don't know what shape you are using, that in itself can make all he difference in the world. Do you get any action at faster speed? Is this a copy of an existing lure or a new design of your own.

Remember what Larry posted on his videos, the three factors that make a lure work.....Center of Gravity, Control Surfaces, Buoyancy. Depending on the lure, any one of those three may be the most important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaZAiWG ... u.be&rel=0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJXuGqe ... u.be&rel=0

The method you used can, if properly done, place the center of gravity low, which helps a lot in this type of bait, if the control surfaces are correct. The superplastic on top, with Microballons, is great, if you have enough Microballons. Try dropping the lure in a picture full of water and see if the weighted portion sinks down, and the bait self rights quickly. This is important for this type of bait.

Seeing the picture, with hooks in place, will help a lot in guessing if the center of gravity is in line with the line tie, an important factor in this type of lure.

So many factors can come into play. I have a lure that swims fantastic, if properly weighted, but won't swim at all if I get the ballast off by even a little. It goes from hero to zero so very quickly. I have other designs that almost work no matter what. It can take a long time to troubleshoot a new bait, and every piece of the puzzle helps us figure out the big picture.

Hopefully you can get us more pieces of the puzzle to look at so we can try to see the big picture.

Good luck,
Steve
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am

Hey AA,Having Trouble Sending Pic,But I'm Using My Own Design I Made A 5 1/2 Master(Big One)Plus Trying To Get It To Just 2oz
bassfighter1

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:07 am

Yes, on this site, you cannot attach a pic. The key is to save the pic on a cloud server, photo bucket, or another web site that has a picture gallery, then copy the link on this site. That is how I do it and it works fine.

With the design being all your own, it will take more time to figure it out. But, compare it to similar designs that are smaller.

A lot of things to figure out, including if 2 oz. will even sink a lure that big. It probably will, but again, it all depends on so many different things. What is the volume of the lure? Did you do the water test? Is there any action at high speeds?

All questions that we need answered before we can help.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.

Steve
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks AA
bassfighter1

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 am

From my experience w lipless cranks is having enough weight around the front hook placing it under the line tie so it vortexes - it’s ok if the bait sinks like a stone because you usually work a lipless in a little faster- maybe opt for a little heavier weight. perhaps do some drilling to add weight to specific areas (especially around the front hook- and tap the holes w some super plastic.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making