A different Amazon rod

General Questions

A different Amazon rod

Postby Badger1992 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Larry,

I've fished in Brazil a few times for peacocks, and most recently, wolf fish. I am now favoring shorter rods, such as 6'0 MH casting rods for stickbaits and Spooks.

I want a 6'0 H action casting rod with a nice parabolic curve when heavily loaded, but I can't find one on the market. I think this type would be good for topwater prop baits like High Rollers, but also substitute for large stickbaits. Could also use for plastic swim baits for payara. One payara technique on the Xingu River is to slowly bounce a large plastic swimbait on a 1.5 oz jighead on the river bottom where there's current.

Maybe you could have an "Amazon Series" in the TFO lineup?

Thanks,

Dan
Badger1992

Re: A different Amazon rod

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:52 am

hi dan
you're using what we used 50 years ago! As our materials improved I've found so many advantages with longer rods it would be hard for me to go back to the stubby sticks. Their only virtue, in my opinion over longer one piece rods was portability. The TFO big fish 71/2 and 8 footers break down to around five feet.
The way I see it, it boils down to the way angular and linear distance are related in terms of rod length.
The longer rod if tapered correctly and of adequate stiffness allows longer casts, more line take up on a hook set or when fighting a fish, etc. As far a working and controlling the line and the lure, it actually takes less angular movement of the rod to get the same linear distance on the tip with the longer rod. It takes a little getting used to for some people, but I find far more advantages to a rod longer than 6' rod for making a lure get super animated.
That's not to say that longer is always better. How long? That's determined by the weight of the lure and by a persons own physical strength. Personally, I find rods in the 7'6' TO 8' range preferable for all my pcock fishing. If I were in flooded trees all the time with a canopy over my head I might want a 6 footer, just as i might use a 4 1/2 foot spinning rod in a tiny brushy trout stream.
Currently I would say 98% of the Brazilian anglers I know would agree with you. The 2% that would not are the ones who've fished with me!
Thanks for the post!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Badger1992 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:19 am

Larry, thanks for the reply! I was thinking short, because I was fishing in small jungle creeks for wolf fish, as I was basically pitching the lure or making very short casts under tress and brush from a skiff-type boat- I'm just not good with a 7 foot rod in these low lying boats. I noticed many of the Japanese anglers were using shorter rods, and a Japanese angler, Teru Bombada, has a lineup of short jungle rods. I do like the longer rods for casting out in the open, and of course you are right about the advantages of a longer rod.

I was thinking that the recent advances in materials might enable a short, but responsive rod that wasn't a broomstick.

Dan
Badger1992

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am

I hear you, but in most situations fishing pcocks the longer rods is a big advantage. remember, the actual " blade" , or part of the rod ahead of the reel, even on an 8 foot rod is only about six and a half feet, even with a relatively short handle as is on the BF rods. THe 7'6"ers have a shorter handle so the working blade length is just under 6 feet!
What the new materials have done is improved the stiffness to weight to ratio of the rod.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions