Brown sharks

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Brown sharks

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Looking for any tips for inshore sharking.
Managed two 84" brown sharks recently and have been obsessed with figuring them out.

Currently am anchoring down near a ledge and drifting either live or chunked pogies with an average level of success.

A problem I'm encountering is having my livies evade the sharks. Eventually the sharks tire out and give up or just lose interest in general. It's a pretty spectacular thing to watch but I'm not out there to nature watch I'm trying to get hook ups. Is there anything I can do to keep the bait from being so evasive? Never thought a big pogy would be so athletic. Should I send an injured bait out? Dead baits instead?

I seem to get bites on live or dead but they prefer live from what I can tell.

Here's my currrent set up:

Shimano TLD 15; st croix 7' med heavy boat rod
50# braid to fg knot to 130# mono roughly 8'" to about 2' of twist on wire and a 10/0 live bait hook.
Suspending baits under a balloon.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Brown sharks

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 pm

"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:49 am

Seems like injured bait is the ticket. Still alive, but panicking.
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 am

Try to figure out a way to "anchor" the bait so it cant swim quite as freely. Like bigger balloon, shorter distance between bait and balloon, dropper weight off three way on bottom, hook suspended..etc.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions