Your favorite knots and why?

General Questions

Your favorite knots and why?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Larry,
While re-watching your great career on "Hunt for Big Fish", I observed several knots that you tied.

I know that the Uni-knot was often used in it's various forms. I believe I observed the Centauri knot during at least the first few years. Of course the Bimini Twist was staple. I know you have your bowline version that I believe you call the "knot again". I know you snell circle hooks.

Here is my question. What are your favorite knots and what are the reasons for and conditions you use them in.

I guess I am just trying to take advantage of your lifetime of learning and experience.

Thanks,
AKA
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Your favorite knots and why?

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:06 am

I use knots from the uni family most of the time. I often "backwind" the uni to turn it into an actual nail knot. When tying a loop knot with it I've found that 3 or 4 turns is strongest. I think because it tightens more evenly than a knot with more wraps.
With direct braid to lure I use a palomar.
I use the knot again with wire or heavy mono. It's only 60% so that has to be taken into consideration.
I use a twist melt connection with nylon coated wire when weight is an issue with a wire leader.
Of course Bimini when a double line is needed.
FG knot for splicing mono leader to braid.
That's about it. reason is strength and dependability on all of the knots.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks Larry,
I will have to think about what you mean by "backwind" the uni to turn it into an actual nail knot. I am not sure I know what that means, but I will sure take the time to try to figure it out.

I use to carry a tool to tie the nail knot but lot it a long long time ago. :oops:
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:50 am

It's kind of hard to explain, but a uni is actually almost identical to a nail knot, but sort of "inside out". If you tie a multiple turn, say ten turns, uni knot, then before you tighten it you unwind the twists which causes the line to wrap over itself on the opposite side it turns into a nail knot and gets rid of the single strand that twists from the top to the bottom of the knot and remains on the out side of your twists.
This explanation is likely to confuse you more than ever, but I must remind anyone reading this that written instructions on how to tie a simple bow knot like we use to tie our shoes has never been successfully achieved either!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:18 am

True, most of us have tied bow knots on our shoes since age 3 but I think explaining it would be almost impossible. LOL
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:22 pm

It was an assignment in a technical writing class I had in college. at that time no one had ever been able to do it without a diagram!
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:07 am

LOL,

Once had a similar assignment, also technical writing. The professor was not use to an Engineer doing the writing. I described tying a square knot by first using a description of the corner of a wall to define a 3D coordinate grid, etc., etc. It took me about 20 typed pages. I am glad the professor did not grade that assignment, but I did get positive comments for completely confusing him. For a square knot it should have taken a lot fewer pages. :oops:

Maybe we can get you to do a video of it and you can put it on YouTube?? One thing is for sure, just the suggestion you gave us will at least get us thinking about it. After you showed the Siebel or FG knot on your show, it got me to thinking.

I figured out a knot to splice braid to mono or floro that is extremely narrow in diameter, 100%. Two problems, it takes 3 hands to tie it and I could not get a video to show it well enough.

I feel your pain, but at least no one expects me to be able to do it. ROFLOL
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:09 am

The "backwinding" I tried to describe might be better described as turning a multiple half hitch into a whip finish by pinching one end of the knot between your fingers as you backwind it over itself, in essence turning it inside out.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:29 pm

OK, now I am embarrassed. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That is a knot I have used for 30 years. The archer part of my anglinarcher used it to finish of the servings on my archery strings. The anglin part used it to finish of the Bimini instead of multiple half hitches, which if done incorrectly just loosen the last half hitch. It is just a finished version of the whip finish used to complete a fishing fly, which I have used since I was 6. LOL

I am pretty sure I know what you are saying now, and I am flat out embarrassed that I never considered using it as a fishing knot.

Thanks, and sorry,

AKA
aka anglinarcher

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 am

Larry,

Now that I have finally figured out the Knot-Again and the uni-knot/nail knot, I am considering doing a video of them.

I assume I can call them the "Dahlberg Knot-Again" and the "Dahlberg Nail Uni"? Perhaps you would prefer a different name?

Let me know if you have any issues with this or suggestions.

Thanks,
AKA Anglinarcher
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 am

sounds like a great idea to me!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Tigerlily » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 pm

How many half hitch knots do you use to finish the fog knot?
Tigerlily

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:45 am

To finish the knot I tie a ten time thru half hitch and backwind it to create a whip finish. I also line to burn the very end of the line to make a little bulge so it can't come undone.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

I second the FG knot for splicing braid to heavy mono. It's ridiculously strong. Slips through the guides much better than a slim beauty.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Caja » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Anyone fish J knot for braid to fluorocarbon leader. The J Knot is easy to tie and online test results 83 percent knot strength with 20# line. I have tried the Jknot with 65# braid to 80# fluorocarbon leader had good results so far. No online test results for larger diameter lines.
Caja

Return to General Questions