Specific Gravity

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Specific Gravity

Postby FishermanTom81 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:48 pm

I am having a hard time understanding the specific gravity chart. What percentage of microballoons must I add in irder to give my lure the specific graviry of cedar? What about balsa?
FishermanTom81

Re: Specific Gravity

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:05 pm

You cannot get Alumilite white or any of the rigid Urethanes to the density of cedar or balsa with any amount of microballons. You can get the density of Maple if you add an equal volume of microballons to an equal volume of the rigid urethanes. If you added anymore microballons you could not pour it properly.

If I want the density of cedar I use Alumifoam which is the same density and is tough as an anvil.

If I want the density of Balsa I use 610 foam which is the same density and about the same strength as balsa.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby FishermanTom81 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 pm

I have a two part mold that I already made. It is possible to use aluma foam with it?

You said "You can get the density of Maple if you add an equal volume of microballons to an equal volume of the rigid urethanes." do you mean an equal volume of micro balloons to the total volume of part A&B combined?
FishermanTom81

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 am

Yes, equal amount of microballoons per resin. For example ... 2 of A + 2 oz of microballoons and 2 oz of B + 2 oz of microballoons. This will give you 4 oz of total resin and 4 oz of microballoons.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 am

And yes, you can use any of the Alumilite foam products in your two piece mold. You may need to brace, clamp, or support the mold to prevent the pressure of the foam distorting your mold and hence your lure.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making