YELLOWCHEEK IN CHINA

General Questions

YELLOWCHEEK IN CHINA

Postby Bob Daly » Tue May 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Was wondering if anybody on this forum has ever fished for Yellowcheek in China? If so can you please provide me with some lure/line/rod recommendations. I don't believe Larry has fished for these brutes. Heading to China in a few weeks so any information would be very appreciated.
Thanks doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Re: YELLOWCHEEK IN CHINA

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue May 02, 2017 1:32 pm

I wish, but no, I have not. It does seem there is quite a bit of data about this species available, and the following write-up seems to give a lot of data that seems consistent in the other write-ups.

https://www.fishsiam.com/species/carp-yellow-cheek-2/

A carp, but with teeth, salmon like profile, insect and small fish eater. Believed that they hunt in pairs. Populations seriously depleted in the last 20-40 years, but currently on the increase. I gather that they prefer the flood plains in summer, but drop back into the channels in their winter. Habitat is one I would search more on.

Most of the pictures I see of the Yellowcheek have minnow baits hanging out of the mouth, so that would be my suggestion. Of course, some circle hooks and live bait should always be an option.

I often wonder how others plan a trip to an unknown area, with unknown or unfamiliar species. This is my plan, hope Larry can add to the suggestion.

Here is wishing you the best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 03, 2017 6:34 am

Nope, have not fished them. Checked them out a while back. As far as new place, new species and getting ready; I make sure I have the tools i need to get a good picture of the environmental options. If this means bringing my own electronics, that's what I do.
In a small river with depths that can be checked with a fishing rod and a weight, obviously that's not necessary.
Lure/rod/reel wise I bring a range of a lures in various sizes that are capable of achieving a range of depths from surface to what ever max depth I think I might fish. (some times take a reel spooled with 20lb 7 strand wire as emergency deep trolling option) I pick lures with the widest range of depth and speed range. usually make a few variations if I have a hunch about something. Bring rods and reels to suit lures.
In river usually also bring a range of spinners, jigs/swimbaits. extra stuff to make or modify them.
A good selection of hooks and rigging kit for both quarry and live bait is ALWAYS a good idea.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Wed May 03, 2017 12:28 pm

testing
Bob Daly

Postby Bob Daly » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks Larry and AKA. Been having issues make a post on this? Just heard back from the outfitter this morning. Watch for a report middle of June.
thanks doradokiller.
Bob Daly

Postby Bob Daly » Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Forgot to mention that I will be fishing in Pearl Lake in Shanghai.
Bob Daly

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Just back from a tough bite on Mingzhu Lake on Chongming Island. However my fishing partner did get two monster Yellowcheek est. 100 and 70lbs. Key is water flow drawing in bighead carp which is the food. Top lures are large triple jointed swimbaits. Used the TFD BFC-763-2 which was fantasic making thousands of casts each day.
Bob Daly

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Bob, glad you learned something and I bet you are already planning on a return trip. I am envious already. :mrgreen:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 am

That sounds like a fun one. How was the travel in china and what kind of boats do they fish out of?
thanks for the post!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 pm

2 hr ride by van to hotel from Shanghi Airport. No traffic at all. 5 min by golf cart to lake. Lake is small and shallow. They have 3 18ft bass boats with 60hp Merc motors and bow mount electric. Customs no problem. Did not see any military or poverty you see on TV. Flew Air Canada which was really cheap. Next time circle hook with float on bighead carp. Plus need lots of practice with chop sticks. Will email some photos. 8
Good fishing doradokiller
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:16 am

hi bob
thanks for the post, and email with pics. As I said in the email Holy _ _ _ _!!
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions