Amazing clear cast fish eye help

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Amazing clear cast fish eye help

Postby martin79 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:04 am

How's it goin ? I just clearcoated my first 4 lures with the clear cast over Createx air brush paint. And alumafoam. I turned out pretty good except some small fish eyes. Maybe the size of a deer tick. Here were the steps in the process.
1. Put baby powder in mold for Matt finish.
2 sanded then duplicolor filler primer then 3m bondo sand again
3 autoborne sealer ,then quick hair dryer
4 1 good coat of Createx airbrush paint reduced w/4012 then quick hair drier
5. 2 hrs after paint Mixed cleacast for 2 min temp 72 humidity 55
6 brushed on with harbor freight acid brush
7 quick passes with paint stripping heat gun for bubbles
Then put in turner for 12 hrs then hanged for another 6 hrs was dry to touch
In probably 8

It looked like I missed some spots I know I didn't. Real small though. Just little bumpy craters and just in a cple small spots
Did I use the wrong brush?
Did I need to let the paint dry longer ?
Should I let the clear cast sit a period of time before I apply ?
Is there anything I can put on the paint that wouldn't damage it ? Wax remover /degreaser?
martin79

Re: Amazing clear cast fish eye help

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:59 am

Process seems pretty good. Everyone has their own process and it might be good to hear from others here.

Only changes I would suggest would be to allow it to sit for 5 min after mixing, wave your heat gun over your mix to pop any bubbles prior to brushing them on your bait, then apply, hang/rotate, then after 10 minutes of rotating, use your heat gun to pop surface bubbles as needed.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 am

Mike - Alumilite wrote:
> Process seems pretty good. Everyone has their own process and it might be
> good to hear from others here.
>
> Only changes I would suggest would be to allow it to sit for 5 min after
> mixing, wave your heat gun over your mix to pop any bubbles prior to
> brushing them on your bait, then apply, hang/rotate, then after 10 minutes
> of rotating, use your heat gun to pop surface bubbles as needed.
>
> Mike
I agree with Mike on this one. Especially setting it for 5 or so minutes.

Amazing clear cast is pretty fluid at first and that allows for some fish-eye development if applied too soon. Better to let is set a little before painting it on, and of course, removing bubbles is always a great thing.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby martin79 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks guys. I tried letting it sit longer last night ,sprayed with alcohol ,and as somebody' else mentioned washing my hair brush with dish soap to clean oils off. No fish eyes. I put em on turner at just 70 for 10 hrs then sticking em in a car backseat in the sun. Baits are not in the sun I'm Tupperware. It's staying a steady 100 degrees in that spot in the backseat. See how it turns out today. If it's too hot. Free heat source though.
martin79

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 am

Heat will speed it's cure, but is not necessary. I just leave them in the house on my turner.
aka anglinarcher

Postby martin79 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 am

My other bigger problem was mixing I think. For the life of me I can't figure out how I can't pour 1 oz in 1 cup with part A and then dump part B in the same cup until it shows 2 oz and the mix isn't a 1:1 ratio. My first test mix was by weight not volume (I didn't read the directions yet) and it came out rock hard\scratch resistant. Just dumped alittle on work bench. Then the next batch put part A ,B in same cup by volume ,1oz then fill to 2 oz and I can still put a thumbnail dent in it after 3 weeks. Curing at 80 degrees didn't matter. And I let the thick one sit in hot water first. Then 2 days ago I used the 3 cup method and it came out perfect at 70 degrees.( took 48hrs) I know my ratio was off. But don't see how
martin79

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:48 pm

You will need to get a response from Mike on this one. I always mix it in one cup, normally by weight (close enough) and I get excellent results. But.....I prefer the slightly less then rock hard material. Still, I don't know that I can leave a mark with my finger nail but I can flex it when I use it to make lure eyes, lure bills, etc.

Only hint I can give you is that I make extra sure that, especially on small batches, that I completely mix the material and scrape the walls of the container very well in the process. Taking 3 or 4 minutes to mix is not too much.
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 am

Doesn't make sense to me either. 1 oz and 1 oz in a single cup should work perfectly. As Anglin suggested ... it doesn't take being off much in volume to make a big % difference in the mix ratio when measuring and mixing small amounts. But in your case ... I still don't think that was the reason. Honestly not sure.

The only thing I've seen and experienced ... like in our little 1 oz measuring cups ... is that the lines that tell you the measurements are actually raised on the inside of the container which prevent the stir stick from actually scraping the sides ... it actually glides over the side of the cup on the measurement lines. This can cause you to not get a full mix and can leave softness in areas of your pour. Usually if you experience this you will notice a few little striations in the end of the mix when scraping the sides to get all of the Clear Cast out of the cup and into mold or onto your part.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby martin79 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks alot guys. I got it now. I tried to more experiments. I switched the order from from dumping the A first to B first and came out perfect. in same cup. Then also got oral syringes for free from walgreens (has single ml) and order didnt matter. That also came out perfect. Both at 70 degrees. And I noticed the side b bottle has less in it then the side a bottle so my mix was definately off. Thats still weird cause each time I even put the measuring shot cup on a box at eye level under a bright light and pour till both parts barely touch that ounce line. Should be good to go now. Thanks
martin79

Return to Lure Making