Clear trolling lures

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Clear trolling lures

Postby Frank2361 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey Larry
I made a few molds for different style clear trolling heads and when I take them out of the molds, the surface has a bunch of bumps on them. The lures are perfectly clear and I'm using a pressure pot. I thought it was the mold but when I poured the clear resin without putting it in the pressure pot, none of the bumps developed on it. It's almost like random grains of sand on the surface and I've tried changing several things but it didn't seem to make a difference. Have you experienced this before? Thanks frank
Frank2361

Re: Clear trolling lures

Postby dahlberg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:24 pm

hmm, that is an odd one. wonder if a bubble or two is getting stuck to the surface? do the bubbles appear in random places? Try pouring the head about a third full and gently tilting and rotating it letting the mixture wet the entire side surfaces before filling.
Have to see what the Goop King thinks.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Frank2361 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:26 pm

How much pressure do you put in the pressure pot? Do you think i should put it in the pressure pot for like 10 minutes then take them out to cure?
Frank2361

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Not the goop king for sure, but...... :idea:

What mold material are you using? Did you degas the mold material when you poured the mold?

For example, if you used something like HS2, you would not have any bubbles on the surface but they can and often are trapped inside the material itself. When you pour without pressure, no bubbles. But, when you put pressure on the mold and resin, it collapses the bubbles under the surface film and you can get what you are talking about.

Could this be what you are seeing? Degassing many of the mold making materials is advisable when possible, but I suspect that you could also make the molds under pressure as well. Have not tried that yet, but ........
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

Anglin is asking the questions I would ask.

To answer your other question about pressure casting for 10 minutes ... then removing. Won't work, you would crush the bubbles for 10 minutes, as soon as you removed the pressure ... the bubbles would come right back. Need to hold them crushed until your resin cures.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making