tube skirts

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

tube skirts

Postby blackmarketbaits » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Larry, and everyone else!

Im still working on my large tube design, and I've hit a snag that I haven't been able to figure out. and that's how to cleanly and efficiently cut the skirts of a musky sized (10 in) tube. my last attempt was using the long sectioned utility knife blades, which were placed into a block with 1/8th spacing, and pressed down onto the tube. but the soft plastic still tears or cuts unevenly. from top to bottom. are their any good solutions that any of you guys are aware of, to cut skirts quick and clean?

thanks in advance!
blackmarketbaits

Re: tube skirts

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:00 am

Without actually seeing the details of what you're doing it's hard to make a suggestion. I had similar issues in making smaller tubes and ended up making a master that used round toothpicks, each spaced one toothpick apart, and made a simple solid tube shaped body with skirt tails that were separated enough that no trimming was needed. Just needed a tiny vent at the tip of each tail.
If you're using a mandril/dipping process you might try heating up the blade enough to separate the tails with out tearing.
good luck with your project,
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: tube skirts

Postby blackmarketbaits » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm

heating up blades is something I have not considered, but sounds like a pretty good idea. thanks larry
blackmarketbaits

Return to Lure Making