Resin

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Resin

Postby clyde » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Looking to try my hand at making a swimbait. Looking to make a hard bait the shape of a shad or bluegill. Looking for the best resin to use to make the bait.
clyde

Re: Resin

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:18 am

White casting resin and microballoons. You can adjust your buoyancy by increasing or decreasing the ratio of resin to microballoons. The more micros you add, the "softer" and easier to shape the resin becomes once its set up. The caveat is durability goes down a smidge. If you're making something for bass- even plastic with a lot of microballoons will hold up just fine. Really the only fish I'd worry about it with is a bluefish.

one of my jointed rat topwater swimbaits uses just screw eyes instead of a complicated thru wire. It's about 3 years old now and has caught its share of largies and it holds up just fine. That's just something to think about.

You could also use alumifoam depending on your buoyancy needs. It's super tough.ive done combinations of alumifoam and white castin resins for swimbaits with good success. My personal opinion is it can be a little tougher to work with compared to the white casting resin. Just my opinion. It is easy to get a hang of though.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Resin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 am

Rhett is on it as usual.

Here are a couple links to the Alumilite White and Microballoons pages.

http://www.makelure.com/store/p/934-Alu ... Resin.aspx

http://www.makelure.com/store/p/957-Microballoons.aspx

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making