microballoons in soft plastic

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

microballoons in soft plastic

Postby cuzzinfish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has figured out an appropriate ratio of micro balloons to soft plastic to make it float. The lure I'm trying to float has an internal wire frame, so I know I may need more. I'd like to have a baseline, if possible, to get me close. I plan on using different material later, but I have a ton of old chopped up soft plastic I'd like to use for the prototype stage. Any information would be appreciated. Also, can someone point in the right direction to where I may find heat shrink tubes like you see on bucktails and what size is most common for that application? Thanks all.

Robert
cuzzinfish

Re: microballoons in soft plastic

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:41 am

you can have your ratio all the way up to 1:1 soft plastic to microballoons. The higher the ratio of microballoons to soft plastic, the more rigid. Keep that in mind. Good luck. Add softener to help lighten up the plastic.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: microballoons in soft plastic

Postby tshpank@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks - I had the same question. Working on a soft plastic top water I want to float a 4/0 to 7/0 hook.
Tom Mangus
tshpank@hotmail.com

Return to Lure Making