Bassmaster new 10' rod rule

General Questions

Bassmaster new 10' rod rule

Postby Caja » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Should be good for the industry. I would like to see a hardcore fly angler whip some pros or at least land few big fish.
Caja

Re: Bassmaster new 10' rod rule

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:54 pm

I have fly rods shorter then 10' so that was not the issue, it is the rule that prevents methods that interfere with the back seater's chances. As much as I would like to allow fly fishing, It is a fact that backcast issues are a problem with others in the boat.

I agree with you that 10' rods will not be a problem, especially with a lot of Bass Boats having storage that can handle them now. I can see the longer rods that big swimbait guys use making some real impact.

As for a fly fisher winning, ......... I wonder myself about it. I am a multi tool guy, as comfortable with a fly rod as a spinning rod as a baitcaster. It drives friends crazy when I get a sore arm and just start casting with the other, with equal accuracy and distance. I will say that day in and day out, if I had only one rod to catch fish to live on, it would be the fly rod. But, for overall size and quantity, the other rods would usually win.

My biggest rainbow trout have been on flies, my largest other trout species on lures, so ........... Rods are just tools, nothing more or less. If you are fishing bedded bass and the water is ultra clear and they are pressured, the fly rod using the proper fly (creature fly or the likes) that just quivers and hovers in place can and will clean up. If conditions are really tough, slow, difficult, the fly rod would get me a fish or two when my other methods might fail.....But, if I am fishing where I need speed, power, etc., then other methods are better.

Tools, just tools. Right tool for the right job. Unless you just find one method more fun then the other. :idea: :idea: :idea: :mrgreen:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Caja » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:24 pm

I think a new hybrid 10' fly flippen/punch rod would give Florida bass or California delta bass new look. I took a casting 8' extra heavy action 2-6 oz rod and put a fly reel on it with fly line I could dangerously fly a 1/2 jig and pig 100 ft.
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:26 am

Personally I have little or no need for a ten foot bass rod. However, there are many instances were something longer than eight feet would be a definite advantage. It will be interesting to see where the rule change leads!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions