Craziest bait?

General Questions

Craziest bait?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:57 pm

How about another "fun" question for Larry and fans?

What is the craziest bait, or makeshift lure, you have ever used? I remember one time Larry used Jack Links Jerky, I believe for Wolf Fish. That seemed like a great advertisement, but maybe you have discovered a new scent for lures, HICKORY. LOL :lol: What else have you used, for whatever reason.

When I was a kid, about 10 or 11, Dad called home and told mom to have the boys load the truck because we were going fishing for the weekend. The fish was trout, Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, high mountain. My brothers were younger then I so I guess you get what you ask for, but :oops: :oops: I got everything except the tackle box. Dad found a guy that sold him some hooks and mom had some Velveeta cheese that we made balls out of for fishing. Crazy enough it worked well, and predated powerbait by years. Hmmmm, still remember munching on the bait when fishing was slow.

Years later, while in my teens, I goofed up again. I and my youngest brother traveled about 3 hours into nowhere to bass fish, but left our tackle boxes home again. (seems to be a trend here) We ended up buying hooks at a gas station and for lures we bought gummy worms. We semi rigged the gummy worms like plastic worms with the large snelled hooks, snells removed, and caught fish like crazy. Funny but I have not used or even bought gummy worms again.

Once I ran out of bait while fishing for trout so I put rose hips (berries from wild roses) on my hook like salmon eggs and caught some carp that I cut up for bait. That worked well enough.

I bet there are a lot of funny baits, lures, that have been used by Larry and the guys, so lets have fun and tell our stories. :lol: :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Craziest bait?

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 am

Good Stuff Anglin!

Only McGyver stuff I can come up with would be making a putty mold off a small bluegill the kids were catching, then taking that mold and pouring a soft plastic lure out of it. Then simply put a big offset hook into it and started walking it across the top like zara spook and started catching largemouth with it. No reason to do it other than curiosity.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:09 am

I can recall two incidents involving the daughter of a clients from back in my guiding days catching an exceptionally large walleye off their dock on Lake Minnetonka. Both seven pounders; one on a Frito the other on a French fry. No, I am not sure how she rigged them, only that she was out of worms...
After spending a very poor day with a screwy and cranky captain chasing sailfish, who blamed our lack of success on the fact I'd brought bananas for lunch, I rigged a banana peel the next day and when a sailfish came up on the teaser I pitched my rigged peel to it instead of a ballyhoo. The fish ate it and the peel went flying on the first leap. you should have seen the captains face!
I could go on about the dead snake I hung up over a trout stream so I could fool a big brown when he got trained to the maggots, or stuff like watching masheer slurp human remains off from rafts, or batfish eating freshly delivered turds from the sailboat's head but I won't.
:lol:
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Lol, Larry, you crack me up. I had a small lake overpopulated with Bluegills but it had some big bass so I thought I would take care of a problem while increasing the size of the gills. I put a chicken wire basket over the water and tossed the small gills in it so the maggots would feed the small gills. I had no real impact, but it was fun.

Now, I had to search out the banana myth myself when a guide searched all of our gear and bags before sturgeon fishing in Oregon. Seriously, how did that myth develop. Once in a while I smear banana on my lures just to prove it false, but myths just don't die. :lol:

I would ask for more details on masher and batfish eating freshly delivered turds from the sailboat's head, but ........ maybe not. ROFLOL
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Caja » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Was Teachers Lair Cape Hatteras and a friend was captain on offshore boat waiting for him to get a day off to fish inshore in the sound. I had new skiff with no electronics on it yet. He had been offshore fishing 60 days in a row so we go and get 4 finger mullet for bait, blast off 30 minutes of riding he said I can smell the fish, no birds and no signs of fish, just one oil slick on the water and it did smell really fishy. Anchor up instantly start catching chopper bluefish on cut bait. We filled the front live well with nearly 100 pounds of bluefish in about 30 minutes. Went back to marina gave all to bluefish to guy who sold us 4 finger mullet. Craziest recycling of cut bait I ever witnessed.
Caja

Return to General Questions