Preference of knots...

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Preference of knots...

Postby Gaebler20 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Larry, when rigging for bigger fish like tarpon, goliath's, sharks, roosters, etc..., is there a preferred knot you use? Personally, I use a bimini twist on my braid and a double uni to my flouro leader...I asked tom rowland about his knots and he was telling me about using a sebile knot...he loves that knot for braid to flouro...do you think it'll work with braid to mono or flouro only, or do you like using a different knot altogether..???
Gaebler20

Re: Preference of knots...

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:22 am

Actually I use all of the above! The PT or Sebile knot takes a little more time to tie but on larger dia single filament line it has a 3X smaller diameter than the double uni, so for casting poppers or any other application where your leader is so long the knot has to pass thru guides it's the clear choice.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:55 pm

Hello,

What's your favorite technique for tying the sebile? I.e., how have you found it to be best to make the twists? Also, have you had any line slippage issues that depend on what brands of line you use? I had a mystery knot failure that still bothers me. I'm sure I did something wrong, but I suspect a combination of a very slick new fused line, 50# name brand fluro, and my inexperience with that particular combination. This was for a long surf fishing shock leader. (And, tragedy of tragedies, I lost a Wide Glide. It just flew away.) Thanks!
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Actually, I'm not doing any twisting just wrapping one of the tags clockwise, the other counter. Just have to make sure it's nice and tight. wish I could provide a better description but I think it defies the English language!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Badger1992 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Many GT guys use the FG knot when joining braid to mono for popping/stickbaits. I learned from a Nomad guide in Australia, and he made a YouTube video demonstrating it. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/Rj9I4j0Jj9c
Badger1992

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:26 am

Hey Badger,
Thanks for the post! That's exactly what we needed. That knot, if tied well is fantastic. The only thing I do differently is rather than multiple half hitches I use a whip finish at the end. It creates a little cleaner end with less chance of it becoming loose.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jaym » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:14 pm

All,

Here is a helpful link for the FG knot also. This way is a huge advantage versus the wrap and wrap method if you are on the water and the wind is blowing.

http://flylifemagazine.com/video-fg-kno ... d-to-mono/

Jason
jaym

Postby Badger1992 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:57 pm

The angler in the fly emagazine video didn't tension the knot well. When tensioning, it's imperative that the braid bite firmly into the mono, such that the braid turns translucent.

FG stands for "Finger Grip", as in "Chinese" Finger Grip/finger trap. The harder you pull, the tighter the knot becomes. My caveat is that you tie the half hitches anchor tight to prevent the wraps from loosening. Also, there's a finish called the "Rizutto finish" that is pretty slick-you can find it on YouTube. Personally, after the wraps, I finish the knot with 12 half hitches around both mono and braid (together). I used to do 6 half hitches around both, then 6 around just the main line, but I noticed the main line would sometimes break at the last half hitch while tensioning. This happens because the consecutive half hitches "wear down" the line as you tighten them down.
Badger1992

Postby AnthonyW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Badger1992 wrote:
> Many GT guys use the FG knot when joining braid to mono for
> popping/stickbaits. I learned from a Nomad guide in Australia, and he made
> a YouTube video demonstrating it. Here's the link:
> http://youtu.be/Rj9I4j0Jj9c

Absolutely one of the best low profiles & strongest knot out there it tird properly ,,, its no go to know when popping . No failures
AnthonyW

Postby Badger1992 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:53 pm

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/jackha01/story

Here's a pic of an FG knot I tied with 16 wraps. I tied a half-hitch around both mono and braid to hold the wraps in place, and finished the knot like a Bimini twist. It's hard for me to put in words, but the finishing knot is basically a 5 turn Uni knot tied towards the FG, and I tuck the braid tag end between the legs of the mono and braid before tightening. I think Larry finishes his Bimini the same, but with 3 turns instead of 5. Then you tension the knot.
Badger1992

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Solid and clean!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions