Heat Stabilizer

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Heat Stabilizer

Postby Fomen38 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Sorry to beat the proverbial dead horse, but I have a question about Heat Stabilizer. I just ordered a 16oz container of it, and I noticed on the container it gives instructions on quantities to add to plastisol. Off the top of my head, I don't remember the ratio of the stabilizer, but I do remember the ratio of plastisol. It's a certain part of stabilizer to 1 gallon of plastisol. Based off of this ratio, I'm assuming they are suggesting adding the stabilizer to the plastisol before heating? After all, who would remelt a gallon worth of plastisol at once? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this. Do I add the stabilizer before I start heating the plastisol? Do I add it to the heated (virgin) plastisol once the molecular properties have changed it from milky to clear? Can I add it to remelted plastisol? If I add it to remelted plastisol, will it impede the properties to retain color (will it bleed)? I guess my question is this: How is the stabilizer DESIGNED to be used?

Thanks Guys,
Scott
Fomen38

Re: Heat Stabilizer

Postby dahlberg » Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 pm

First off, virgin material does not need any stabilizer added, because it's already in there! It's intended to be added to chopped up remelt to help with smoking/yellowing. I use a scant capful for a pint of chopped up remelt.
With the added heat stability the new phthalate-free plastisol has I've not been using it at all.
hope this helps,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making