Molds

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Molds

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Loved The Costa Rica Show,Wow Larry How Many Whiggley Molds Do You Have Lol
bassfighter1

Re: Molds

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:32 am

Not sure about Larry but I have close to a half dozen different molds of them and the newest one is always my favorite until I make the next one.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:36 am

I've lost count!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Cal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:30 pm

The mold in the Advanced Whiggley tutorial video is made of blue molding material and more rigid. What is it exactly?

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby bassfighter1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Plat 55
bassfighter1

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 am

Plat 55 is a platinum base, high durometer (stiff) silicone that is great for making multi piece molds or whenever good location, dimensional stability, or alignment is needed. It is also the rubber of choice for using when injecting foams as it will not move or flex under the pressure of the foam expanding inside.

I'm starting how to make that advanced Whiggley mold next week. Originally we did it by 3D printing the different sides and then simply molding the 4 SLA prints but I understand that is not a common tool people have at their disposal, so I will clay them up by hand and show you how to make a 5 piece mold.

Perhaps I will do it in my latest Whiggley design which is a bigger profile just to show you something different.

Hopefully have the video put together for you in a couple weeks.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Cal » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks Mike.

How would that Plat 55 work for making a 2-piece mold for a soft plastic plug? The design I've come up with is 3/12 inches long by 1 1/2 inches deep at the deepest point, and about 3/4" across the back. I've been working on a mold with HS 2 and HS 3 and I still a more visible seamline than I want. It looks ugly as sin when I have to trim it off. I'm still building an upright mold to the imagined lateral line of the bait.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 am

The Plat 55 would work great. It is really think to work with. The other option, with a much easier to use viscosity, is our Quick Set. The tear strength is not nearly what the Plat 55 or High Strength silicones are but the durometer is much higher and the seam line should be minimal if any.

The other option is to take a heat gun or torch over the cut seam line and it will clean it up but be careful not to scorch it.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making