Video Suggestions?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Video Suggestions?

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:58 am

Recently posted a couple new videos ... one showing a completely new process for making production grade tools intended for soft plastics that are injected. The other another video making a mold off of a real perch and then making into a musky lure.

After speaking with Larry this morning, we thought it would be good to throw out an invitation for video requests of types of molds or lures or processes you would like to see. Perhaps its even just a single process or trick of the trade you are interested in ... please let us know and we'll see if we can accommodate the request.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: Video Suggestions?

Postby bennie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 am

I will like to see a lure and mold making video with 3D Printing.
bennie

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Any type of lure in particular? We discussed making a couple different ones this morning using 3D printing.

I think I will put the video together of a lure we recently did by reverse engineering a bigger profile whiggley. We drew it up in Solid Works and then 3D printed the negative of each half of the mold with the corresponding locators in each half. Once the parts were printed, we simply poured rubber over the left and right halves. When the rubber cured and we demolded the two pours, we put them together and it made a perfect 2 piece mold of a bigger profile whiggley that was ready to pour.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll put that video together to start and if you have any other specific lures you'd like to see us work in 3D printing on, please let me know.

Please keep the suggestions coming as we want to provide content that is relevant and meaningful to you.

thx,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby bennie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Yes, Mr. Whiggley is perfect and Wide Glide. I am curious how they are made it you know color,weight, balance.Thank`s Mike by the way I love the videos and the materials to make lures.The alumi-Uv is awesome.Ben.
bennie

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Mike, I was shocked that I have never considered making molds out of Vac Master 50. I have been making injection molds out of quick set, so ........ I guess I was not thinking out of the box.

More videos of the different types of products and how they can be used would be nice. :idea:

Perhaps a video of using Flex 30? I had trouble getting it tough, always had super low tensile strength. I bet that you could show us how to use Flex 30 for soft lures when a slightly tougher version then alumisol is needed.

I suspect that what we could most use a video of is what we have not thought to ask for. LOL :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Cal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:53 am

Maybe a process to create plugs out of clear Alumilite Clear with MinnowBody inside the resin.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Good ideas fellas. Keep them coming and we will start working on some these shortly. Just created a large fluke style soft plastic. Going to make multiple casts out of a mold and show a different injection mold using Vac 50 to give you another look at that process of a different type of design.

Hey Ben, Larry might be able to help you on the weight and placement of the weight in the Wide Glides.

3D printing and clear will also be on the chopping block to get something shot and cut. The only issue with clear is that it almost needs to be solid ... jigs, spoons, and other solid type baits. Let me see what we can come up with.

Will keep you posted.
thx,
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby warpsyrhead » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 pm

My $.02:

-Any lure that can be made clear. The clear seems to be troublesome to many of us.
-A video series for each product you produce and sell?
-Definitely a blooper reel!!

I watch them all multiple times, so as far as I'm concerned, you could make an uncut video of waiting for something to cure and I'd watch it.

Thanks!!
warpsyrhead

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 pm

I Would Like To See Somemore Videos On The Alumifoam And How Well It Floats When Making Luresi
bassfighter1

Postby luccio » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:17 am

Mike,

I would like to see how to make the mold of the advanced Mr. Whiggley lure (expecially the tail's mold ).

Thank you.

Luccio
luccio

Postby Cal » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 am

Luccio's post reminds of something I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting. I've noticed that the Advanced Whiggley mold is made with blue molding material that just seems stiffer. What is the molding material?

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Advanced Whiggley mold is made using Plat 55. Its a silicone we use in the rapid prototyping, architectural, and medical device/model industries. Its very thick, very stiff (great for alignment of multiple piece molds), highly recommended to vacuum to remove the air, but great for pouring high temp, clear, foams, and pretty much any resin into.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Great suggestions!

Obviously many of these will take some time but I will start working on some of these as well as posting a bunch that are already work in progresses that simply need to be edited and posted.

The more ideas, the better as perhaps we can combine some of them to show 3D printing with something clear, etc.

I'll work on the foams as well as showing a four piece interchangeable tail mold of some sort. The other option is if people have masters they like me to consider molding and showing the process for ... simply let me know. I may request a photo of the master (that would need to be rigid) but then can document the process of molding and casting.

Thanks for the ideas.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aulrich » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 am

How about an in depth on amending alumisol , the general use of softener , hardener ratios etc the proper use of heat stabilizer. Under water of lures that need different stiffness of plastics and what it looks like. Maybe salt and other weighting option along with colorant options
aulrich

Return to Lure Making