Floss Rigging

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Floss Rigging

Postby Cal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:12 am

Larry,

Do you need a suspending device such as a bobber or kite or balloon when using a floss rig on live bait? I ask because I'm interested in trying the system with live croaker on the Lower Laguna Madre. The trend is to hook the bait through the tail so it swims upward, rather than down and into seagrass or oystershell and the like. The problem is, when you reel the croaker back to the boat, he comes in backwards and drowns. Will these little buggers swim downward when floss rigged?

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Re: Floss Rigging

Postby puckfisher » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:22 am

Larry Can answer this but rigging the live baitfish in this manner certainly works well. Is there a easier method? Is there a wire strong enough to go thru the nose yet soft enough to twist a few times around the hook and hold the bait on securely enough to fish and stay alive yet fragile enough to release upon hookup? Does hooking thru the eyes affect hookups and kill bait?
puckfisher

Postby warpsyrhead » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Cal,
You should check out the Detroit Lakes Muskie episode of HFBF, it's from the most recent season.

LD shows how to make and use a rig for live bait (suckers) that doesn't cause any distress to the bait, so they last longer. It was also designed for easy hook removal and less distress to the target species/Muskie.

It may not apply to what you're using and fishing for (I don't know what a croaker is) but it should give you an idea of how you can adapt it to your application.

Post pics of anything you make or come up with!
warpsyrhead

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:08 pm

I'd suggest a balloon to keep them above the grass if you are flossing them.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions