Canada Trip

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Canada Trip

Postby puckfisher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Planning trip for mixed species in Canada. Have fished for walleye, pike, smallies, musky, lakers and like them all. Want to get away from crowd and save cash so looking at outpost fly Ins. Manitoba or Ontario? Ice out (late May) or wait for better weather and risk finding post spawn non biting fish? stay south and get musky and smallies or go north for big gators? Gear I cannot be without missing on their lists? I'm a caster not a troller. Thanks
puckfisher

Re: Canada Trip

Postby dahlberg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:17 am

There are SO many good choices. As far as weather, you just have to cross your fingers. I'd consider the total time you have available versus the total time you'll actually spend on the water also. Having an extra day or two increases your odds for weather, plus give you more time to dial in a new area. Obviously boat and motor availability is a factor as well.
Also need to decide if you're after numbers or size. And which of all the species with which you most want to connect!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Canada Trip

Postby puckfisher » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 am

Astounding number of options out there. Most fly you in as part of the package and supply boat, gas and small motor. The lodges often have several choices of waters that you have to yourself. problem is, they all claim to be best fishing in the world. only one site had updated weekly fishing reports and they were mostly "caught hundreds" or my biggest pike was 38 in. Will avoid mid summer and fall(steelhead season) but location is still up in air. PS nHow was South Amer. Trip? We had good water conditions and had super flyfishing 1st week of Nov. For peacocks.
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions