Sebile Knot

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Sebile Knot

Postby fstate8 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Is anyone tying this knot for their braid to flouro leader connection? If so, are you using some form of glue to make it hold? I'm attracted to the slim diameter of the knot, but I can't seem to keep it from slipping under heavy pressure (w/out glue).
fstate8

Re: Sebile Knot

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I use it frequently. No glue needed if you get it tied right. You really have to put good pressure, like really, really tight on all "ends" .
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby fstate8 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:52 am

I'm tying an overhand knot, 10 rotations with each end of the braid to form the "trap" and then a series of 4 overhand knots with the following number of pass throughs 1-3-2-1. Would you consider that technique correct? If that is the correct technique, it may be a tension issue when making the 10 rotations with each end of the braid.
fstate8

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 am

I don't use an overhand at all. I've seen at least a half dozen variations and even more people claiming to have invented the connection so I'm not at all surprised at the confusion.
Here's one that will surprise you if you're using hard mono that's in the 80# and up category:
using a lighter, gently heat the end of the mono until if forms a little bulge. It doesn't take much, and be careful not to over heat to darkened or yellowed state.
Tie a Nail Knot over the hard mono, position it just above the bulge and tighten the dickens out of it. I've used this connection on 400# groupers and 75# of drag and not had it fail. Try it in your workshop and test it before you use it on the water.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby fstate8 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I really appreciate it, Larry.
fstate8

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Larry ... reading this post makes me remember the Uncle Homer column in Bassmaster Magazine. I use to love that guy. Simple, problem solving logic. The bulging the line with heat thing makes me think you've been around the block or world a few too many times.
Mike - Alumilite

Postby bassfighter1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 pm

I Like The Line To Line Uni Knot And The Berkley Braid Knot,Had Trouble Trying To Tie The Sebile Knot.
bassfighter1

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Like Larry said, you just got to work on the tension used to tie the Sebile Knot. It does work, and very well. I don't use the knot much because I created my own know based on the Bimini loop, and while I think I created it, because it is a modification of an existing knot, I sure someone else would take credit for it. :oops:

One thing I know is that the Sebile knot takes three hands to tie and mine takes 3.5. LOL

Spend some timing experimenting with the Sebile knot at home until you can tie it in your sleep. Additionally, look at alternate methods to finish the knot. I don't like the overhand knot option, but the one I use I learned while finishing off my archery strings. I have no way to explain it, but there are other ways to finish the Sebile knot.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 am

I totally agree on the "finishing of the knot". I like to tie a 5x half hitch, then reverse wind the coils to end up with a whip finish. With a bit of patience and not while in a rocking boat, you can take a razor and cut the heavy mono to a point which allows the finish of the knot to totally cover the tip of the mono which eliminates the blunt bump at the end of the knot.
The reverse wind can also be used when tying a uni knot, which will make it look exactly like a proper nail knot, or whip finish.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dtrkyman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:13 pm

I like tying a uni knot in the flouro/mono and a 10 turn improved clinch in the braid! Holds much better than a uni to uni for me, generally using 30 to 50lb braid and 8-12lb flouro
dtrkyman

Postby dahlberg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:11 am

hmm. don't quite understand how to do that one. are you making two loops? the knots we are referring to are all very thin and able to pass freely thru the guides.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dtrkyman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:39 am

Yes two loops...goes through as good as uni to uni...I think if you look Jr up it is a seen knot
dtrkyman

Return to Saltwater Questions