Rigging Stamped Spoons

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rigging Stamped Spoons

Postby Cal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Larry,

I'm sorry I missed you at ICAST. Maybe next year...

Quick question for ya: I've just returned to using 1 oz Kastmasters for fishing the surf (I sorta accidently rediscovered them when I say an old gentleman catching redfish after redfish out of the surf with them when live and cut bait just weren't working). I've been trying to rig them with swivels to mitigate line twist. I want to keep the swivel as close to the spoon's eye as possible and then splice a leader to my braid, mainly because the edges of the spoon are sharp enough to cut a line knot and I don't trust snaps. The problem? I can't seem to get a split ring on the spoon because of the position of the eye in relation to the tip of the spoon (it's punched too far from the tip to accommodate sliding on a split ring).

Do you think twisting on a very short length of #80 coffee-colored wire to the spoon and then twisting on the swivel to the other end do the trick? I figure I can keep the length shorter than 3 inches, it may not be too long to hamper the spoon's action.

Cal Gonzales
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Re: Rigging Stamped Spoons

Postby Seachaser » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 am

From my experience fishing for reds, trout, and even Spanish. Wire equals not as many fish. Unless you are getting bit off by blues, use heavier mono.
Seachaser

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:57 am

I'd suggest finding the largest split ring available and go with that. either that or silver solder your own ring to it. IMO the Kastmaster is an ingenious design and much overlooked by most anglers.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Cal » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Thank you, Larry.

There's a 300 pound alligator gar down here just asking for you to step up.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby Seachaser » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 pm

There is a guy looking for large gar in the (I think) the freshwater forum.
Seachaser

Return to Saltwater Questions