Fisherman fitness

General Questions

Fisherman fitness

Postby downriverbob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Larry,

I don't know if you have addressed a question related to physical fitness for fisherman. You look to be in very fit, do you work out regularly ? I just turned 60 and would like to continue enjoying fishing and life in general. Anything that you might suggest to all us fisherman young and old. Thanks !

BOB
downriverbob

Re: Fisherman fitness

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:32 pm

This fat old man is interested in that also. I think Larry could run a marathon and still handle a 150 pound tarpon without breaking a sweat.

How do YOU do it?
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I have what might be known as vestigial fitness. I was very active and fit throughout my teens, twenties etc. from generally doing stuff that required quite a bit of horse power. In fact, I could still do an iron cross on the rings when I was 45 years old! As of now, tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and a nasty high hernia just under my sternum, compliments of a large blue marlin, keep me from exercising beyond making long casts under trees!
About all I've got going for me is lots of old dried up lean muscle and a lifelong distaste for most carbohydrates and love for protein, fruit and vegetables has kept me from getting too fat!
Main thing I stress now is stretching, stretching and stretching.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby downriverbob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks Larry, I am like you worked out a lot a young man still do some but like you carpal tunnel, double hernia repair had some problems, but still try to keep in shape. I know some guy who never worked out but were farmers or cut timber did things like that. Those guys have the kind of strength that last/lasted their whole lives. Thanks for your response. As far as stretching I was thinking about taking up yoga, to keep myself loose.

BOB
downriverbob

Postby rausch51 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:22 am

BOB,

Yoga is an awesome workout. You won't be disappointed.
rausch51

Return to General Questions