The Rumor Mill

General Questions

The Rumor Mill

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri May 16, 2014 11:23 am

Hey Folks,

Recently heard on the rumor mill that some states are potentially going to ban "salt impregnated soft plastics".

True or false?

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: The Rumor Mill

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 16, 2014 3:17 pm

lord only knows. if it's an issue of salt in our water, better check the winter run off from the highways in the snowbelt!!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon May 19, 2014 9:23 am

Sounded a bit preposterous to me, too.
Supposedly the salt content of the baits is causing a PH shift in the lakes out West. Yes, millions of gallons of water having a PH shift from salted baits :roll: . Hysterical.
LOL

If that's true, Yamamoto may be out of business. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Fomen38 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Even if they did ban salt impregnated plastics, how would they know if you were using them if you pour your own. What will the fish and game officer do- suck on it to see it it tastes like salt? Salt is naturally occurring in all bodies of water. The ocean gets it's salt content from minerals carried by freshwater tributaries. Sounds like a rumor to me. I don't think that's going to happen.
Fomen38

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 pm

You could add all the salt you needed to the water so that you could walk on it, or at least float on it. You could turn the lake into the next "Great Salt Lake" if you wanted, and still......... all you would do is change the Salinity, not the PH. PH is a measurement of Acidity/Alkalinity. Now, if you want to add an acid or a .......... well I hope the point is well taken.

Still, is it possible that it is true? Consider this for a minute. They banned lead shot for hunting geese and ducks because of the observed deaths caused from ingesting lead. The steel shot that was the only approved eco-friendly shot for many years lost energy very fast, did not transfer energy to the bird it hit efficiently, all resulting in probably 20 times more wounded birds never retrieved. A few birds were saved, a lot of birds were lost. In the eyes of the radical eco-friendly crowd it was worth it to save swans, loons, etc., no mater how few were actually saved, no matter how many ducks or geese were wasted.

I suspect that no state is considering eliminating salt in fishing baits/lures, but I can see the eco-radical mentality deciding that in doing so their favorite "save the planet" cause could be served. When it becomes a radical cause, not only does it no longer require logic or proof, it cast doubt on legitimate causes as well.

I suggest that we not worry about it, but that we remain vigilant to such proposals by "well meaning" "organizers".
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 am

all you would
> do is change the Salinity, not the PH. PH is a measurement of
> Acidity/Alkalinity. Now, if you want to add an acid or a .......... well I
> hope the point is well taken.

Good point. I got carried away with the rumor and didn't even think about basic chemistry lol.
RhettWheeler

Return to General Questions