Amazon River, Iquitos

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Amazon River, Iquitos

Postby Ictalurus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Hello Larry and company,
This June I will be traveling to Iquitos, Peru for work and will have some spare time to fish. I’ll be working primarily on the main river, so I’m planning to target catfish and other big-river species. This is a popular spot for Amazon eco-tourism, but I haven’t found much information on fishing there. Do you or any others here have any familiarity with the Western Amazon? Or can anyone recommend any resources I might pursue to find out more?
Thanks!
Ictalurus

Re: Amazon River, Iquitos

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 pm

hi dan
I fished there many years ago. Not far down river are lagoons with mid-sized peacocks, also piraracu and cats in the area. In fact, it's the place my guide got zapped by a large electric eel!
There's also a guy there on the outskirts that has a great piraracu farm and is a wealth of info on the species.
Have a great trip!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Ictalurus » Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for the reply!
I know this has probably been discussed before, but do you have any recommendations for a 2 pc. heavy or extra heavy casting rod?
Ictalurus

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am

I'm working on a rod of that sort right now with mudhole. not sure what's out there right now other than some fairly decent telescopic flippin type designs. okuma has a pretty good one in their musky lineup.
The guy on the outskirts name is Santiago. just remembered it! be sure to look him up. he will be a wealth of knowledge about the fish in the area as he was a commercial netter for many years before he started raising piraracu.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions