30 pound wire leader

General Questions

30 pound wire leader

Postby Murph » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:35 am

Tying wire leaders for pike 30 lb any info wire,crimps,swivels an snaps?Do you have a DVD on this subject? What type of crimper an brand would you recommend ? Thanks for your help.
Murph

Re: 30 pound wire leader

Postby dahlberg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:48 am

the best way depends on what you are trying or needing to accomplish. the lightest, most "flexible" way is a twist melt using nylon coated wire of either seven or 49 strand. (more about that later). The thinnest is non-coated stranded wire and using the correct small crimp and crimping tool exactly the right size. The right size is very important.
For the lightest possible connection, I tie a double uni from the wire to my main line and twist melt directly to the fly or lure.
The other end of the spectrum might be using 49 strand 60-90 pound and crimps to fasten a snap or swivel to the wire.
A bowline type loop will work for a while, as will a two or three turn "uni" if you have to resort to knots in either coated or non coated wire.
Because each wire is 1/7 the dia of 7 strand, 49 strand is more flexible and therefore much easier to tie. One caveat, because each wire is thinner, it slowly degrades over time while flexing and bending, wire by wire as you use it. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your connections, especially when flailing flies.
some people use double crimps, and knots in addition to crimps, but in my opinion, that's not necessary if you have the right sizes of everything.
also, for mono, you need the aluminum crimps. I get my stuff from mudhole who've got a good selection of both saltwater and freshwater stuff so it covers both wire and heavy mono. any of the midprice tools are fine as long as the die size matches your needs.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: 30 pound wire leader

Postby Murph » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks Larry for your reply I will look into that Mudhole store an see what kind off materials I can come up with cant relie on local stores to get quality liters with any consistantcy. Thanks sincerely Murph
Murph

Return to General Questions