Larry, when you go to a NEW location, how do you start?

General Questions

Larry, when you go to a NEW location, how do you start?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Larry, a new and potentially interesting opportunity might come my way. I am a West/Northwest guy, born and raised, but it looks like I may have an employment move to the Southeast. LOL - you cannot get much different.

Now don't get me wrong, I have fished warm salt there before, but always with a guide, and not for many years. I got to thinking, you go to new areas in the WORLD all the time, I suspect not knowing the species or the water, and you find a way to make it work. Normally when I go to new water I at least know something about the species I will target so all I have to do is read the water.

What is your game plan when you go to a location that you have neither fished before, or have detailed information about?

PS, I am glad I am a C&R guy for the most part; probably won't be able to tell one grouper from another. :oops: :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Larry, when you go to a NEW location, how do you start?

Postby dahlberg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 am

Hi AKA
Pretty standard stuff; define the area, find the basins and shelves, in the process of steps one and two have eyes peeled for forage, cover etc. and go from there. Guess that's where the term "fish" changes from a noun to a verb!
Best of luck with the move, I am sure you will bloom where you're planted!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:48 am

Hey A Archer What State Are You Moving To.
bassfighter1

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

bassfighter1, Louisiana, Fort Polk. I suppose it is not a sure thing, but it is a new contract with the Army, my company used my Resume to get the job, and my position in Washington State is currently not in demand. Still, something tells me to do my research, be ready, but don't put all my eggs in one basket quite yet. Anyone know of a current opening for a .........., LOL, not the place to post that. :oops:

Thanks Larry, I suppose that I expected that. I expect that I will catch lots of fish, just won't know what they are. It really will be kind of funny at first. I bet I won't find the Northwest Albacore Tuna off the coast. I also bet I won't have the courage to take my 18' Lund style boat 15 miles off the coast like I did off the coast of Washington and Oregon (when the weather was good and the swells were small).

I will stick with the fresh water at first, enjoying the fish I already know, the Largemouth Bass, crappie, catfish, White Bass and landlocked Strippers. Then I will probably venture to the littoral zone next. Hopefully my knowledge will increase fast enough that I will be willing to venture Pelagic.

Thanks all.
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Hey A Archer,If You Were Going To Louisana There's Big Redfish,The Fishing Is Good Here In South Carolina Too,Good Luck.
bassfighter1

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:56 pm

May get with you in the future.
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:52 pm

aka, if there's bih stripers nearby you will be hooked, and may not bother with all of the other options, plus your boat is suited for it! Not to mention you'll likely get on them pretty fast!

L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Landlocked stripers and I go way back to Lake Powell. Toledo Bend is a smaller body of water, but I expect most of the methods transfer.
aka anglinarcher

Postby mark_odegard » Wed May 07, 2014 11:23 am

Bassfighter1, where in South Carolina do you live? I moved to Columbia not too long ago and just started exploring the area.
mark_odegard

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Growing up in texas, i can tell you from fishing tournaments there, toledo bend is by no means small. Smaller than what he compared it to, but it's 185,000 acres of crystal clear water.. it is a wonderful sight-fishing lake for big bass.. its how i won there years ago.. if youre gonna be in LA, you also need to fish Lake Catahauchie.. not sure i spelled it right, but its connected to the Mississippi river, and is filled with Florida strain bass... its full of monster bass.. its where my buddy, Kevin Van Dam won the bassmasters classic..
Gaebler20

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu May 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Gaebler20 wrote:
> Growing up in texas, i can tell you from fishing tournaments there, toledo
> bend is by no means small. Smaller than what he compared it to, but it's
> 185,000 acres of crystal clear water.. it is a wonderful sight-fishing lake
> for big bass.. its how i won there years ago.. if youre gonna be in LA, you
> also need to fish Lake Catahauchie.. not sure i spelled it right, but its
> connected to the Mississippi river, and is filled with Florida strain
> bass... its full of monster bass.. its where my buddy, Kevin Van Dam won
> the bassmasters classic..

LOL, did not mean to downsize Toledo Bend, it is or was the 5th largest reservoir in the US at one time if I recall correctly. But, compared to Lake Powell which is much deeper, much longer, but not as wide, much ....... that thing is a monster. I suspect that one could fish a different bay each week and never learn it all in a life time. The biggest problem with Powell is the lack of access in between Marinas.

Actually I believe that, by surface area, Toledo Bend is larger.

I still hope to end up in LA, and if I do, I will check out Chattahoochee as well. Good to hear that it is so clear, I am a "Western States" bass guy and our generally clear water pretty much makes flippen useless, ........ so I never fine tuned my technique. :oops: The clear water of Toledo Bend will make me feel more at home. :lol: :idea:
aka anglinarcher

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Actually, sight-flippin',(what i call it),is what i saw a lot of tournament guys doingthere.. the water is very clear, but there's a lot of weeds there. So you should be able to get pretty close to the beds and flip to them. The trick my dad taught me is to go heavier mono or floro, since it is clear water.. i like to use 30lb. mono or fish on darker days with a black braid.i never really had any trouble pulling bass out of the thicker weeds with the heavy mono. Just kind of finesse them out if you have to..
Gaebler20

Return to General Questions