Catfish at La Zona

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Catfish at La Zona

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Larry: Have some friends heading to La Zona this October. I am heading back next April. Do you know if there is a place nearby where you can catch suribum catfish? We would like to add on a few days after fishing for dorados. 8)
Thanks, Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Postby blu1fin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Larry (and Bob):

I guess my more direct question is:

Do you have any knowledge, impressions or recommendations on targeting big cats right there up by the dam (in the restricted La Zona).

I know the obvious answer: 'Why bother fishing cats when you are at the greatest big dorado location on earth'.

But those suribum are just so cool looking - I figured maybe for an hour or two when the flow was less than ideal for dorado, it was worth a shot at a huge cat. There must be a few biggies at that tailrace.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
blu1fin

Postby blu1fin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:14 am

Thoughts?
blu1fin

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:46 pm

There are almost always a few hanging around below the dam (you see them surface below riffles sometimes) but I've never had one react to a lure. The biggest problem below the dam in terms of setting up specifically for cats is that it's illegal to anchor.
I fear in terms of activity the Suribi and Dorado likely are on the same schedule. Obviously, in a race to the lure you know who's going to win.

Surubi are commonly caught on deep diving lures but from my investigations down there I'd say AT LEAST 90% are snagged. It's impossible to say if they were actually trying to eat the lure or what...
There's a lodge at a place called Itati that specialized in Surubi, but it's many hours from La Zona. A dozen years ago or so it was not uncommon during their migration for as many as 500 per day (BIG ones) to be taken. Operative word TAKEN.
Wish I could've been more help!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby blu1fin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks Larry.

I figure it never hurts to ask the expert.

Thanks again for providing inspiration for all of us.

I'm hooked!

Steve
blu1fin

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi BF,
Although the odds are pretty poor, the best odds for catching a Surubi below the dam at La Zona would be to choose a lure that makes bottom contact (but floats at rest to reduce your chance of loosing all your lures in the first 10 minutes) and fish it with a slow retrieve. I'd guess casting cross current and letting it swing and grind at the base of the rock ridges or little mini-tailouts below the dam or fishing it slowly upstream on a current/eddy edge would likely be your best bet. Also most likely need mono (minimum 30#, 50# better) to reduce the odds of those razor sharp rocks, pilings, re-bar, cement ect. cutting your line.
Good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions