braided lines

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

braided lines

Postby hans79 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:29 am

i saw another post about you were trying a reel with bobby brown braid. ive heard of it but cant find any info or where to buy it. whats your personal opinion on braids as to what is the strongest and wich has the most abrasion resistence in the 80 to 100 lbs size. ive had issues with others and trying to find a better one to use
hans79

Re: braided lines

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:55 am

In truth, non of the gel spun "super" lines are good at all when it comes to abrasion. When abrasion is an issue it's best to use hard mono or fluorocarbon.
The bobby brown is the smallest I've seen diameter-wise per pound test in the 65# sizes and up, which makes it better for casting, especially on spinning reels, and obviously gives you a bit more line capacity on your reel.
I first ran into it in Australia, where it's very popular with the guys who pop for GT's. I'm not sure where to get it in the US, but I think it's available in some of the California shops.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm

http://www.saltywatertackle.com/lines/j ... a-443.html

It comes in a multi-color pattern too. Like Larry said, the GT popper/stickbait guys prefer the hollow core version because of the smaller diameter and ability to splice. Its also made in the USA, and a lot less expensive than the Varivas Avani GT Max or some other Japanese braids.
Dan Hanon

Postby Dan Hanon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Dan Hanon

Postby hans79 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:58 am

thanks Dan for the links. have you had any experience with this line? ive seen some strength tests and it was one of the better ones for the breaking strength. im just wondering if its worth while to use rather than the normal musky braids you can get localy
hans79

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 am

I used the 100# version earlier this year in Australia for GT's, same place Larry used it. It's considered one of the best Spectra lines because its thin for its strength, relatively supple, doesn't have a crummy waxy coating. I think it has 8 strands instead of 4, not sure. I'm a newly addicted GT convert, so I need to buy more of the 100# hollow-core.

I liked it , but you have to watch the wind knots with these braids! Make sure you wind it tight on your reel during the retrieve.

Also, the hollow-core is nice because when you lose some line from break offs, re-tying, etc, you can just slice a new segment on so you don't have to replace a whole spool. This makes it much more economical,than solid braids.
Dan Hanon

Return to Freshwater Questions