Daiwa Lexa 400

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Daiwa Lexa 400

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:05 am

Hi Larry: Hope the fishing is going great. Just back from a trip where I was able to test out the new Daiwa Lexa 400. Really liked the reel and very similar to the Shimano TranX. 8) Was wondering if you have had the opportunity to try it out? Will be trying it out for Nile Perch in a few months.
Have a Happy Holidays!
Come your heading again to the Chicago Muskie Show as could use some Nile Perch advise
Thanks Bob Daly/ doradokiller
Bob Daly

Re: Daiwa Lexa 400

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 am

Hi Bob
Good to hear from you. Yes, I did fish with it last fall. Borrowed one from Brett at Thorne's who used it most of the summer. Very impressive for the $ and a better size, imo, for what we would use it for the most. I'm not big on the magnetic anti-backlash system however on any reel.
A tried out the new Komodo made by Okuma. Very impressed in all regards so far, (although notices a bent handle on one while unpacking from last trip and had to straighten it.) and like the size best of any. Time will tell in regards to the stainless gears. They were used in the shimano TLD series reels and held up extremely well, but did not feel as smooth as softer metals. Like I said, time will tell.
The Lexa will work great for the perch.
Where are you going for perch and when?
No plans yet for chicago. Up to my ears in deadlines and editing and may not have time for musky shows this go around! Had an astounding musky season, headed back to colombia for some freshwater stuff in Jan.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:00 pm

HI Larry: Will be fishing for Nile Perch at Murchison Falls, Uganda first part of Feb. Best of luck in Columbia! 8) Too bad your not going to be at the Chicago Show as always enjoy talking fishing with you! Any advise on the Nile Perch would be apprecited.
Thanks Bob
Bob Daly

Postby Nolegsinmiami » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Gents, I have a lexa 400 on order. What line did use on yours? I am thinking 80lb powerpro.
Nolegsinmiami

Postby dahlberg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 am

The one I used was loaded with 100# Bobby Brown, which is about the same dia as 100# PP.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Nolegsinmiami » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Larry,

Thanks for the note. Question on the knots – typically when I am using lighter braid (20-50lb) with heaver mono (50lb +) let’s say for tarpon fishing I double the braid with a bimini then tie a uni to uni which I believe you use as well. As the braid gets heaver (80-100lb), do you still typically double the braided line prior to tying the uni to uni?
Nolegsinmiami

Postby dahlberg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 pm

good question. with 80 and 100# I've been using the AP knot which involves a single line rather than a bimini.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 am

The FG and PT knots work well for joining heavier gauge mono leaders to PE braid. You don't have to double the braid with a Bimimi Twist. I learned the knots from You Tube videos!
Dan Hanon

Return to Freshwater Questions