Replacing Rear Hook on Waxwing?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Replacing Rear Hook on Waxwing?

Postby Wahoo61 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:48 am

I read a post or saw on the show that Larry said removing the rear hook on the waxwing would make it work better. Given that the lure only has the two year hooks (one piece) you would have to replace them with something. I would assume that you would put a smaller sized treble on it. However, I could see a single hook as well. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Has anyone replaced the rear hooks and, if so, with what and what was the result. Tried the lure out this weekend, has good action, but I did not catch anything on it. FIsh were not hitting on top at the time so probably not a fair test. P.S. I primarily fish for wipers/hybrids in freshwater so we are talking 3 to 15 pound hard fighting and hitting fish. Thanks for any input guys. Lee.
Wahoo61

Re: Replacing Rear Hook on Waxwing?

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:34 am

You can replace it with a treble hook if you want to. Just don't go too big or it will kill some of the action.
Bantam1

Postby Wahoo61 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks Bantam1. Lure worked well, liked the action. I think a treble would work better for my application. Any suggestion as to size?
Wahoo61

Postby ajelstein » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 am

Wahoo61,

I am afraid you misunderstood, we were discussing removing the rear hook on the new freshwater version of the waxwing which has a second hook located in front. Larry also suggested adding a clump of flashaboo in the rear hook hangar which I found interesting.
Here is a link to this lure on the shimano site: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... water.html
ajelstein

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:34 am

I have not personally tried to replace the hook yet. I wrap the shank with some Power Pro and glue it to prevent the hook from spreading. This is something I do to my frogs for bass fishing. It seemed to apply to the Waxwing too. To date I have not had to replace the stock hooks yet. If they get dull I file them to make the hook sharp again.
Bantam1

Return to Freshwater Questions