weedless jigs

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

weedless jigs

Postby Chris M » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Hey Larry,
My question is about football shaped jig heads. I employ every weedless bass fishing technique in my jetti fishing ventures. I often use weedless skirted jigs with an Offshore Angler Cajun Crab as a trailer.
I read that football shaped jig heads were made for the rocks. I have always stayed away from them cause they look like they would snag up easy.
Am I wrong?
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi c,
No, you're quite right. In snag infested water, all jigs get hung up, but that's no reason not to fish them where the fish are living! The football head is no worse than most other shapes, and better than a bullet, however.
My interpretation of the sideways football shaped heads is that they're especially good for "fishing in place", i.e., while they are sitting stationary on the bottom, you can just "tap" gently with your rod tip and they rock foreward and back while remaining in the same place. They do a great job of keeping the pork or soft plastic you've got attached to it as vertical and visible as possible. I usually use a size heavier than I'd use in other swimming or hopping retrieves. In some situations it's deadly, if you're patient enough.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions