Venice LA recs

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Venice LA recs

Postby Roger B » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:56 pm

Larry,

I'm looking at taking a few clients fishing and we're looking at Venice in late February...any recommendations for offshore charters? Lodging?

Also looks like a variety of types of fishing available. Any recommendations or suggestions?(i.e. rig fishing vs trolling) I'm a musky guy from MN so I love to cast but I'm open to anything, I look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks.
Roger B

Re: Venice LA recs

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 am

Hi R
I did three episodes in Venice this season, which will be coming up very soon. Venice has an amazing variety. You want to toss topwater plugs at redfish for sure, and you'll want to toss topwater at the wrecks or shrimp boats for tuna too!
You'll also be smart to try a little jigging and groupering.
Marlin are also not out of the question!
I very strongly recommend Kevin Beach. Venice, Louisiana Capthuk@yahoo.com 504-451-3886, for the offshore stuff.
He's one of the Shimano field staff and is really on it down there. He'll also help line you up with the inshore fishing and a place to stay as well.
Wish I was going with you!!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Roger B » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 am

Couldn't get Capt Kevin but did book his fellow TMGFC guide Billy Wells for mid February. Cant wait! Thanks for the suggestion Larry.
Roger B

Postby itallushrt » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Roger, are you gonna "lump" fishing this month?

I've always wanted to, but haven't booked a trip yet. Good luck and please report back on your experience.
itallushrt

Postby treylandry » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:07 am

First of all I want to thank Larry for doing 3 shows in south Louisiana. I am a native of New Orleans and have been an avid outdoorsman since high school. I feel that Louisiana is usually looked at by the rest of the country as the arm pit of America because of our politics and crime issues. Little do most people know that "Sportsman's paradise" is not an exaggeration.

These shows are 2 sided as far i see. I am glad that our outdoor activities are being highlighted because I think our fishing (all types) is second to none. There are prettier locales and maybe better beeches, but none better for fishing and hunting (in the USA anyway). Secondly, I know this is selfish but these shows will show the amazing fishery that is off the Louisiana coast. With the publicity that the area is getting, there are definitely more people coming to the area.

For Larry... I saw the bait casting reel you were using on the Venice shows and I would like specs on the rod and reel combo. I have always used large spinning tackle for the offshore casting situations but I really like your set up.

As for recommendations for offshore captains: Capt. Dennis Henry on the Mule Team and Capt. James Peters on the Osprey are both great captains with really nice boats. They are also very knowledgeable. The captains that Larry went with on the shows are also good captains but I do not know them personally.

For anyone interested... My dad and I have always wanted to do some pheasant and duck hunting in the pot hole region. Musky fishing would also be a really cool trip also. We could possibly trade a trip with some fellow outdoors man. We have a 24 ft ranger powered by a 300 hp mercury for inshore and close in offshore bottom fishing. We have a 16 ft gator traxx boat with a 35 hp mud buddy for bow fishing (for red fish) and duck hunting.

Let me be clear, i am not a captain or a business. I would like to think that we are experienced weekend warriors and would like to share the culture and outdoors of south Louisiana with some like minded guys. Going up north for some hunting and fishing with locals would be really cool too.

Thanks again Larry for show casing our great state and fishery.

it's not all mardi gras and great food down here. Although, I do love mardi gras and our great food.
treylandry

Postby Questor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

I agree with the sportsmans paradise. A fine state. Fishing is superb. Just having that 'end of the road' near Venice and sticking out into the gulf about 40 miles would be enough to make the state important to fishermen, but the rest of the state has a lot ot offer too. Even without the fishing it's really amazing. Great place for hunters and history buffs and bird watchers etc.

"Norlens" is a beautiful city that got a bad national reputation from the katrina mess.
Questor

Postby Roger B » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey guys, thought I'd post the results of our trip last week...ended up fishing offshore with Capt Bill Wells of MGFC, got into three YF's, 100, 95, and 75 lbs. Quite a few blackfin, amberjack, and a Mako that ate the downrigger flyer and broke it! Needless to say the Captain wasn't happy. The wahoo didn't want to play but still an awesome day. Second day hit the reds inshore, which were a blast as well.

Headed back this month to fish a couple days with Capt Kevin Beach, can't wait! Cmon calm seas!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Larry.

Roger B
Roger B

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 am

Sounds like a great day out on the water! Let me know how you do with Kevin, I'll be headed down his way in October.

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Saltwater Questions