Venice

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Venice

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Heading to Venice, La this October to fish w/ Capt. Beach. Looking forward to it any recommendations on what I should bring a long with me if we get those yellowfins all riled up?
Also, we're planning on doing a day for some Reds and flounder... any lure recs?
-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Venice

Postby Bill Crain » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm

AS YOUR CAPT. IS AN OFF SHORE WATER FISHING OPERATION YOU MAY NEED TO HAVE A INSHORE GUIDE. THE TIME YOU ARE GOING IS A GREAT TIME FOR LARGE REDFISH. I SUGGEST CAPT. KEITH KELLY AT http://www.rodnreel.com/borntofish AS MY CHOICE FOR THE BIG REDS. AS FAR AS TACKLE AT CAPT. KEITH'S NO NEED TO BRING ANYTHING. I AM SURE ON YOUR OFF SHORE CHARTER THE SAME APPLIES. GREAT TIME IN THE AREA. ALL YOU NEED TO WATCH FOR IS THE HURRICANES AND I AM SURE YOUR OUTFITTERS WILL ALSO BE VERY AWARE.
THE CAPTS. WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. JUST GO AND ENJOY..
Bill Crain

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah, the Capt. will be keeping me updated as far as weather goes. I'm really excited for the trip, hoping to get in there and pound the fish. I know the captains will be supplying all of the tackle necessary, however I like to bring so lures of my own on trips to experiment with. I'm planning on bring some wide glides so I can get the action down on them. I guess my question should have been, " do you have any lures that you would recommend to bring along to experiment with?" Thank you for your response Bill! All responses are always welcome! :P
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:21 am

Hi R
Here's contact info for a very good young guide I fished with who specializes in skinny water reds.
Capt. Miles LaRose
375 Metairie Heights ave
Metairie LA 70001
Phone- (985)-264-7556
WWW.SHALLOWSOUTH.COM
As far as lures, I did well with the small wide glides and small whopper plopper as well. You'll want one rig set up with topwater and another with something subsurface.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bill Crain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am

I AM SURE LARRY IS CORRECT ABOUT THE GUIDE BUT I THOUGHT YOU YOU WERE STAYING IN VENICE WHERE CAPT. KEITH LIVES MAYBE TEN MINUTES FROM THE LAUNCH AREA. WE USED PLASTIC ON A 1/4 OZ JIG HEAD UNDER A POPPING CORK. CAN'T BE BEAT BUT GOLD JOHNSON SPRITES WILL ALSO PRODUCE.IT IS 75 MILES FROM METAIRIE TO VENICE.
Bill Crain

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah I will be in Venice. I'll see who Capt. Kevin recommends and do some scouting.. do you recall his rate for full day?
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry no need, i have the websites for the rates. Thanks again Larry and Bill. Larry what color pattern in the small ploppers do you think i should try out? Bill i will def. pick up some johnson sprites, i know a lot of people use them down there from what i hear! I don't know if I'll make it out to Metairie, LA, however I will save his contact information for the future. Thanks again Larry, p.s. loved the tarpon episode in FG! Take care guys!
RhettWheeler

Return to Saltwater Questions