Use Caution

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Use Caution

Postby sonny.barile » Mon May 30, 2011 10:43 am

Went fishing in a tidal river that I didnt know to well. The area is loaded with log pilings that are overt 100 years old. It is from factories and industrial ports and docks that have been abandoned since the early 1900's. There are patches of this stuff stretching for miles, but the channel (clearly marked with buoys) is dredged and an active industrial shipping lane. Most of the pilings are broken off just below the low tide surface. I should know enough to motor full throttle in the shipping channel only, and troll in all other ares, but I was over confident and impatient. I went full throttle for a few minutes and had my 13 foot aluminum moving at about 21 mph. I hit two pilings dead on like a fork. I flipped over the bench and landed feet forward in the front compartment. It happened instantly, to the point where Im not even sure what happened. I wasnt wearing my throttle kill wire on my wrist like I am supposed to. I think the boat stopped dead on impact and the tail went up in the air and came down. I think I was in temporary shock because my head was ringing and I realized the boat was still moving. I jumped up to grab the throttle and my legs were like rubber so I fell toward it banging my nose good. I managed to stop the boat. It took a minute for me to realize what had just happened. My boat was buckled on both sides all the way back. The front of the boat twisted, and two of the bunks broke out on one side. It wasnt leaking, so I powered my way back to the dock. I totaled my boat, broke the wireless trolling motor and the pedal controller for it went into the river. The hull is not repairable as the nose is facing the wrong direction and both sides buckled in and rippled all the way back. I hurt my knee and the bridge of my nose, but I dont think I broke any bones. This boat hull was only 3 years old and cost $2200. This was completely my own fault as I should know better than to go full throttle outside the channel in water I dont know. It is 24 hours later and my body feels like it took a beating. HEED THIS WARNING!!!!! Be carefull and get you and your boat home in one piece. I am faced with laying out anoter $2200 and I got my clock cleaned good in this accident.

Sonny
Fishing isnt a hobby.....its a lifestyle!
sonny.barile

Re: Use Caution

Postby rmcallaway » Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Glad your alive and not some mention on the six o'clock news.
"Be Content: The Sea Hath Fish Enough" - Thomas Fuller

http://dailyfishwrapper.blogspot.com/

http://ateandbait.blogspot.com/

I also admin an open facebook site Surf Fishing North Carolina
http://www.facebook.com/groups/323592257724735/
rmcallaway

Postby dahlberg » Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 am

Amen to that! Thanks for sharing your incident with us Sonnie. It's a real reminder how quickly things can go wrong. Sure glad you're ok!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby sonny.barile » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:13 pm

I brought the boat to the scrap yard today. Got $100 for the aluminum. It was depressing...... I then went to the dealer and picked up the new one. Same model but brandy new. I was hoping to get it at the same price as the last as all the prices have gone up significantly in the past 3 years. After explaining what happened to them they gave me a huge discount. I ended up getting it for much less than I paid the last time. That was really nice of them.
If you saw the extent of damage on the boat you wouldnt believe I was able to get up and walk away from this with just some bumps and bruises. I hit the bunks so hard that the paint transferred to my clothes. I will be using this experience as a lesson learned........

Be safe.......
Sonny
sonny.barile

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Enjoy your new boat! Sounds like you've got a great dealer!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

Sonny, glad to hear you are ok and in a new rig. Did you take any pictures of the damaged boat? i would love to scope them if so
Good luck,
Sincerely,
Steel Neal
All Hail The Larry!
steelneal

Postby sonny.barile » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I thought about taking some but didnt get around to it. What do you mean by "scope them"?
sonny.barile

Postby steelneal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 pm

scope; verb phrase ;scope out, Slang .

to look at or over; examine; check out: " dude! that is 9 fish on 9 casts! Let me scope out that new lure you made!

to master; figure out:look at them, check them out:Dude! Is that the new Dahlberg Diver Frog? Let me scope out that "overhead" diving collar with built in weedguard
Must be a regional phrase-an old regional saying!
Best Wishes!
Steel!
steelneal

Return to Saltwater Questions