Question on shrimp hooks. Comment on Fireline

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Question on shrimp hooks. Comment on Fireline

Postby Questor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:06 am

Can you recommend a strong very light weight hook for freelining shrimp? It's hard to tell from the pictures in the catalogs. Thanks!

By the way, I tried Fireline on a spinning reel that I had previously used braid on. With braid I was getting a lot of annoying tangles in the line mostly around the drag spool, but that doesn't happen with Fireline. The reel is an older Penn model. I had tried the technique of using less line on the spool with braid, and that helped a lot, but the problem persisted. The problem went away entirely with Fireline. So it may be an option for you if you have the same problem.
Questor

Re: Question on shrimp hooks. Comment on Fireline

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

owner mosquito hooks.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks! I thought I'd be able to find them at a tackle shop, so I didn't order any. That was a mistake. However, I did try the Owner Mutu Light Circle hooks in 1/0 and they are really good. Widely available too.
Questor

Postby Questor » Mon May 09, 2011 7:53 am

One more thing. I've done a lot more fishing with Fireline 14# since my original post and I have yet to get a single tangle. That's using a spinning outfit. Plugs, jigs, live bait, bobber rigs, everything. I don't know yet whether it's a combination of line and reel (the reel is an Abu Soron) or just the line, but I like this stuff so much I just put it on my Penn reel.

Am also trying 6# Fireline Crystal for my Penn ultralight trout spinner.

I'll make a post when I some experience with those.

With Powerpro braid I tend to get an occasional tangle about ten yards into the line. I'll mend the line, then use it for a while and get another tangle in approximately the same place. This has been consistent with all of my Penn reels including 4400 SS, 4400 SSg and 560 Slammer
Questor

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue May 10, 2011 6:06 am

Fireline, being stiffer by nature of its fused construction, keeps its body for quite awhile. I think thats what you see as the difference between it and pp. The Soron is an under-rated reel and a great buy considering it gives you a metal rotor and bail arms along with a metal frame. Good luck trying to make any braid work well with those older design Penn's. Check pierandsurf.com's forums for lots of talk on that subject. Underspooling is about all you can do to help.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Questor » Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks Henry. Good to know. I do underspool the older designs and it makes a big difference, but I like this Soron so much that I may simply replace my medium spinning reels with Sorons. It has an excellent drag and makes long casts too. There are at least a couple of configurations for that reel and I got the saltwater model.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions