Wide Glide for Bluefin

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Wide Glide for Bluefin

Postby mainecoast » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:43 pm

I would like to use the Wide Glide for bluefin off the coast of Maine, I have used walk the dog style lures in the past and the Wide Glide looks like it would be deadly. The majority of fish are running 125-225#. I need the lure to be able to handle up to 30# of drag pressure. What modifications if any would you recommend that would accommodate the pressure without affecting the action?
mainecoast

Re: Wide Glide for Bluefin

Postby Questor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Bluefin? With all due respect, will the lure handle a fight like that? That's a much stronger fish than most people will ever catch. I haven't tried the wide glides yet, but I have used saltwater topwaters that were all bent out of shape or torn off after one relatively small inshore fish. These were lures known for good quality and durability.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 am

Hi Guys,
I've had many reports of blue fin being caught on the large wide glide. I've heard of fish in the 300# range and no problems. It's hooks are stiff enough to lift the engine out of a volkswagon, and the hooks are attached to a through lure hook hanger wire so it's pretty strong. The only thing you might mess it up with is if you leave it in the hot sun inside a clear box and it gets super hot. The plastic is super tough, but super thin in order to get the center of gravity right. It's painted on the inside and chemically welded together in a clam shell. If it gets too hot it might expand apart.
On that note, and in lures in general. If a small opening occurs in any of my hollow lures, which happens lots with many of the very best when you fish for critters with nasty teeth and lots of jaw power, I mix up a little bit of 610 foam and inject it in the lure with a syringe. If that's too heavy I mix part A with 1/2 to 1% water to increase buoyancy even more. It's good to go in a few minutes and tougher than ever!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jig42na » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 am

We have been using the wide glide here in Cape Cod and have caught bluefins up to 225lbs. Its a deadly lure for them, and we also use the smaller model on certain conditions. I have found better results using the sub surface model.
I typically start at around 18-20lbs of drag on my stella 18k and then crank it up after the initial run. The lure seems to handle the drag fine. We only had one failure with the belly hook pulling the wire but it still managed to stay on. I think it was more of the fishes jaw leverage rather than straight pull leverage.
I do however replace the hooks and split rings. I use Spro 150lb split ring and Owner ST66 or ST 76 hooks in size 2/0 and 3/0.
Hope this helps you out on your quest.

Another note worth mentioning is that we use Spro 230lb swivels and Spro 150lb swivels to attach the lure. It is attached via a Jinkai crimp on 100lb or 130lb leader. You do tend to lose some glide with this setup but the tuna do not care. As long as the lure is darting and pausing and walking the dog.
jig42na

Postby Questor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:59 pm

This could become a new favorite. I'll keep an eye on the e-store here and order a couple of the small ones when they're back in stock. Seems like a compelling lure. Does anybody in the Twin Cities area retail them?
Questor

Postby mainecoast » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for your responses guys. I am going to try one stock (minus the tail dressing) and one modified the way jig42na does which happens to be almost exactly the same way I modify my other plugs.
Larry, would you like to see a picture or better yet a video of a bluefin hitting a Wide Glide from us this summer?

Keith
mainecoast

Postby mark_odegard » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:12 pm

mainecoast wrote:
> Thanks for your responses guys. I am going to try one stock (minus the tail
> dressing) and one modified the way jig42na does which happens to be almost
> exactly the same way I modify my other plugs.
> Larry, would you like to see a picture or better yet a video of a bluefin
> hitting a Wide Glide from us this summer?
>
> Keith

Well I can't say if Larry would like it, but I know I sure would. :mrgreen:

Mark
mark_odegard

Return to Saltwater Questions