Striper Show

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Striper Show

Postby Driftboat Greg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Larry, Could you tell me some details about what model Curado and rod specs. you were using to throw the plugs on the striper show........Thanks, Greg.
Driftboat Greg

Re: Striper Show

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 am

I was using the 300E curado, loaded with 65 power pro on a Teremar seven and a half foot heavy action rod.
We had success fishing stick shads, magic swimmers, wide glides and mr whiggleys!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am

What knot did you tie to join the braid and the mono? double uni, albright, bimini? or was it on a swivel.

And the loop at the end of the line for the lure looked like a perfection loop the way the tag end stuck out, what knot was that and do you leave a loop for all your lures of just walk the dog type

Thanks
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54 pm

The knot to tie the power pro to the leader is one I do not know the name of and is really hard to describe in words. The only name I have heard it called is a PT knot.
The knot I use on the other end is like a bowline, but I use an overhand knot instead of the plain loop you'd use with a bowline.
It's only about a 60% knot so you have to use it with heavy leader, but it allows an open loop, plus lets you untie and re-tie without loosing any leader! I learned it years ago from a native I fished with in Costa Rica. It didn't have a name and is in none of the knot books, so I name it "Knot Again".
I've used it for many different terminal applications, including tarpon flies so I don't have to carry a big fly box with leader stretchers on every fly.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 am

Ever think of adding a video clip section to the forum where we can post our own videos and how to's?

I know how to tie a bowline but would like to see the knots you are describing. When is your next show in NJ? Next time your around maybe you can show me. I usually tie a uni and with pliers sinch it down as tight as I can, only problem is that if the fish pulls hard enough the knot sinches tight and I'll have to retie.

Thanks
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:18 pm

tie overhand knot, 1/4" dia 4" up leader. put tag through lure.
with the tag being the rabbit, have the rabbit go up the hole, along side the other line that passes through the hole, around the tree and back down the hole.
Pinch knot between thumb and forefinger, tighten main line and lure. do not pull on tag at all.
If tied properly, the Knot Again can be untied and retied over and over. I has around 60% knot strength, needs to be tied in hard mono or fluoro and I usually only use it with 60# test and higher.
If you can tie a bowline you should be able to figure it out.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm

That is awesome. I keep a string in my desk at work to mess around with and I see that it works either way you wrap the main line, around the tree and back down the hole. But is harder to untie if you go over around then back through as compared to under around and back through. This one will be going on the bench this weekend with the scale and a few different lines for some testing. Thanks Larry, and you call this the "knot again"? What is the shortest you cut the tag end down to? On the show it looked like you left about .5"
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby BiggestD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am

Larry -

Now that you got a taste of striper fishing, you should consider trying to catch them from the surf...
BiggestD

Return to Saltwater Questions