Honkin' Devil's Horse?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Honkin' Devil's Horse?

Postby Dude Abides » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi Larry,

Your show is fantastic! You're the real article. I wanted to know if that was a Devil's Horse prop bait you were using on those peacocks; exactly what size it was; and where to get them?

I looked for that honkin thing on the web and couldn't find it in the large size you were using. I want to try it out on striped bass off Cuttyhunk.

The Dude
Dude Abides

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:11 pm

Hey dude,
It never ceases to amaze me how sharp fishermen's eyes are! That lure was made in Brazil. It's tough, if you bend the props right it really barks, and has a little "step" in the bottom which seems to make it pull easier.
I got mine from Cadu who runs the Discovery Boat in Brazil. I'm hoping to a pcock surface prop lure made in the next few months. We're going to call it a "chop chcp"!
The weakness with most baits, especially the popular woodchopper is the long screw eye in the rear. A few bends back and forth it's shot or worse yet, you loose a monster.
I'm sure you're right about it working, as is also true of many lures used for stripers in regards to catching peacock bass.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Henry Schmidt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:05 pm

Larry have you ever tried the thru wire plastics like yo-zuri and lucky craft? I recall you talking about river2sea lures. I dont imagine they would hold up to toothy critters but how about the peacocks?
Henry Schmidt

Postby andy r » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:47 am

while we are on the subject, I was wanderin if a black and orange super top raider would work for stripers as well. I use it to fish for muskie. still no luck on that one lol. but i haven't had the chance to use it but twice.
andy r

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:03 am

Hi H,
Yes I've used them both, and they hold up well, but to my knowlege, don't make any good topwater prop lures. I'm working with R2S to make sure theirs are tough enough for anything that bites 'em!
best,
Ll
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions