Screw jig

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Screw jig

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:53 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CdYFHr9fS9tfJd97

Little jig project I’ve been working on. Wanted versatile rigging options. Or maybe I’m just a weirdo who designs jigs without hooks. The world may never know.
Poured the heads in resin, tungsten weighted the chin, foil, copic, epoxy. It’s like a medium sink rate jighead. Slow rolls great.
Crimped on an inline single hook with a hand tied modified keeper so it seats as a tophook.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Screw jig

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:27 am

"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Those look great and, as the guy who tests the blades on the Forged in Fire show says, That blade will cut!!"
thanks for sharing!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:29 am

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R85FGezSeGeGgkAM8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y15ik2bpGtRfbuFs6

Here’s a larger version I designed- I’ll get a nice swim video when the weather improves. The body in the pic is what I’m leaning towards. Ignore the hook presentation on it- when fishing id possibly use a larger hook further back. I was seeing how a stubby body would work on the head. Seems like something in the 5”+ range works a lot better. Anyway. I plan to make a perfect body to go with the jig. Looking forward to playing with it this spring. Nice little slow roll bait.
RhettWheeler

Postby Caja » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Cool design, hook gets weak just replace Hardware nice
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:47 am

I like it! I played with similar ideas when i was first developing Mr Whiggley. You might try recessing the body into the back of the head slightly allowing the gill plates to over lap the plastic body.
Keep gooping!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:30 am

Caja- Exactly I wanted something the end user could easily modify to suit their presentation. The idea for me started w clipping the hook off of a regular jighead and “pegging” a soft plastic swimbait body. The issue was I had to use glue to fix the bodies! That’s where the oversized centering pin comes in handy. I found that it acts almost like a backbone in the bait too and gives a really cool tight swim and body roll. I love just regular jigs with a little paddle tail- but the hook shank seems to trash the bodies after a few fish. So I figured something that would allow the hook to swing independently from the body helps. I’m all for line thrus on certain baits- but decides why not give this a try instead.

Larry- thanks for the advice. Still in the early stages of design on this but I’m encouraged by your kind words and tips. Always helpful!
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making