Scented jig/hybrid and pig

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Scented jig/hybrid and pig

Postby Caja » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Larry, where do you get 4x jig hooks: 30 degree and 60 degree? What brand seems best? Hopefully I can travel South for BiG: Peacock Bass, Golden Dorado, or Wolf Fish one day. Planning on making muskie size version to test
eventuality with my hybrid felt head design and crayfish tail design. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... B_FlMOT8hf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 6PE#dialog
Caja

Re: Scented jig/hybrid and pig

Postby dahlberg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:16 pm

I usually use Gamakatsu's for that purpose. strong, sharp, small barb, super stiff for their diameter. great video and good looking jig!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Larry, my local fishing retailer the BASS SHACK owner showed me the first original weedless jigs made. That weedless jig was bean shape painted black with 3inch black stiff horse hair fibers for a weed guard and tied with black bucktail. The fiber guard followed the hook curve and blended in with buck tail. I will try to get a photo in the future.
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:25 am

great! Love to see it. can you get the guys name who deserves the credit?
Looking forward to it!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks on the video A River where it begins. JK Media did a great job. I was fortunate to get off work for two days and fish with friends. I caught some ribbing from kayak fishing community for wearing a Yahama hat in a Bending Branches paddle add. While filming my jigs fired up a school, after the back to back to back catches the film crew charged the camera super slow motion and the fun continued. I have been the camera kayak/canoe before and the challenge of lighting and angles can be tricky to get a good shoot of quality fish catches. Jigs are great big fish lures
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... wQFoDNuAVx
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm

wow! those are some beauties! good job!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:46 am

Caja

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

it would be interesting to know the date. Dee Thomas first made flippin national news back in the early seventies. would love to know if this pre-dates him, and what part of the country it came from.
thanks for the post!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:41 pm

California Santa Clara. The Bass Shack owner Charlie Foster Aka the Blademan told me David Giliby won national tournament at Lake Okeechobee and made this lure popular in the early 1970's. By push poling holes in water hyacinth mats with white shell gravel bottom during the first couple hours. Then went back and Flip Jig got the win.
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:55 am

It sounds like he and Dee Thomas were contemporaries. I would love to hear Dee's side. Also the dates of the two events!
Thanks for the info!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:59 am

got this off the net:
Dee Thomas is undoubtedly the most celebrated bass angler from the west coast and he stands tall among the legends of the sport. In 1975, Thomas traveled east to test his skill in the big B.A.S.S. Invitationals. He won the event at Bull Shoals with a revolutionary new technique he called “flippin”. His special fishing method changed the entire sport. Thomas quickly became known as the “Father of Flippin”.

Today, every bass boat made incorporates a flippin deck. And, every successful touring pro carried an assortment of flippin sticks. When Dee returned to California, he taught his friend Dave Gliebe this skill. Gliebe used his new talent to win two BASS Masters Invitationals the next year. Flippin was here to stay!

Dee worked closely with Dave Myers of Fenwick Rods to perfect the first ever flippin stick. Today, all rod manufacturers offer an assortment of “flippin sticks”. Most of them are little changed from Thomas’ original design.

As a young man, Dee Thomas made the tough decision to stay out west with his family instead of chasing the big BASS circuit in the east. He dominated the Western Bass circuit, winning 13 western tour events, Angler of the Year three times and he qualified for the first ten TOC’s (a record). He won their TOC’s at Pine Flat and Lake Havasu. When West Coast Bass and WON Bass became the dominant western circuits, Thomas won several West Coast Bass Pro-Ams and two of their “West Coast Bass Classics” in back to back years. He was Angler of the Year with West Coast Bass. In ten of WON’s US Opens on Lake Mead, he placed in the money seven times. Dee has over 30 wins as a pro and over 100 money finishes. He’s still at it! At age 68, he won a National Bass Association tournament on his beloved California Delta with the staggering weight of 41.78 pounds for seven fish!

The Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame inducted Dee Thomas in the year 2000.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 am

I always wanted to make 9' fly H flipping rod to yank/flip big bass out of heavy cover. I think it would work great.
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Actually, you'd likely be better with something other than a flyrod blank. Even tarpon size fly rods are a little "spungy" in my book for that application. Especially after you put the handle etc on it. I like a thin wall, large diameter design. Not easy to find in that length, but some of the surf designs are interesting. Also what are known as "popping" rods if you can find one without too fast a taper.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:04 pm

I meant a 9' mh/H flipping blank custon made with a fly reel seat with 100lb braid to 30-50lb fluorocarbon. Made
especially for flipping with fish gloves. The more vertical the hook set would increase chances of landing big bass out of matted vegetation. True flipping is a lost art almost everyone pitches 20 to 30 feet and that makes line angle more horizontal, you are dragging fish through vegetation vs straight up and ski on top of vegetation. In 2002 on Lake Okeechobee I broke 4 fish off on 65lb braid and learned the hard way. We did manage land a couple. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sy8QG6 ... p=drivesdk
Caja

Return to Lure Making