Home made bulb squid

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Home made bulb squid

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 am

Couldn’t decide how I wanted to mold the design so I settled for just wrapping the master with some foil tape to beat the heat. Worked surprisingly well. Next time I’ll probably spray a little mold release on the dipstick first.

First time attempting something like this- I realized before I started that I needed a taller dipping vessel, but overall I’m happy with the direction the idea is going. This was a trial run but I have several ideas to hopefully make the design look really cool. I backfilled the body with some plastic to add more mass. I’m on a quest to design the perfect squid lure someday- this is just another attempt to move in the right direction. I have plans to make a floater design as well.

Bulb squid
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8bC6LeBWbGsy7JBFA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1r1C7nirhVs5BZuVA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ekwPKSVvhsBTk9i9
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Home made bulb squid

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:02 pm

"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Very cool!! thanks for sharing the pics/video!
keep on gooping!

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Very cool!! thanks for sharing the pics/video!
keep on gooping!

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:42 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tS8aou3dyDda4jss6

Thanks Larry! Here’s a quick video of it rigged on a 10/0 swimbait hook. It balances the lure very nicely. I was just jigging it in the video planning on doing a real action video soon- also going to test it out with a jig hook and also as a line thru.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3yp47J6KUGGLHbV9
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:41 am

Yup, he's doing the tube zig zag and looking great! You will find that moving the connection point a small amount forward or backward greatly affects the way the bait moves in the water. i.e. how much nose sticks out ahead of the eye relative to how much tail sticks out behind it
again, thanks for the post!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:39 am

Yes I plan to try various jigs for inside until I find something I deem the squiddiest (think I just made a new word)

Thanks a lot Larry!

-Rhett
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 am

Hmmm. Squiddy. squidish. squidique. Might be interesting to play with "jet propulsion" if that's what you're trying to imitate. seriously.
The tube is a plunger housing. that's the first hint!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 am

That’s a really cool idea and a great description of the body. I think I might just have to try something out I have a few ideas flowing after reading that! That’s really cool. Thank you Larry.

I’m going to do a plastisol floating core insert too, so a half filling the body w microballoon plastic and leaving the back half hollow on the line thru version. I experimented with regular plastic core in the line thru and it was very easy to keep it on the surface. There’s a whole fleet of guys by me who go to monomoy and float squid thru the rips.

Someday I’d love to try to figure out how to make one look like it’s inking. I have a few ideas for
That too. Gonna be a fun winter trying to keep dialing this thing in. So far I’ve Tried 4 different rigging methods and all show promise in their own way.
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:21 am

Keep me posted on your progress. A dye tablet in the chamber that houses the spring ahead of your plunger should do the trick.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making