Soft Swimbait molding

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Soft Swimbait molding

Postby AboBass » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make a good mold for a soft swimbait that is not a top pour paddletail style bait. I have an old soft plastic trout imitating swimbait that hasn’t been made for years and I wanted to mold it so I can make some for the future since they haven’t been produced in over 10 years. I was thinking of doing a vertical two piece mold. My roadblocks are coming in the form of how to properly suspend the bait in the box and optimal positioning of pour holes and vent holes. Any suggestions would be welcome !!
AboBass

Re: Soft Swimbait molding

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:44 am

If you don't want the pour hole on top, the first thing is to decide where you do want it!
After that, figure out how to either suspend or "clay up" (see videos on Makelure.com) your master and make your mold.
You can either pre loacate or cut your pour or injection hole(s) and bleeders after the mold has cured. Obviously the simple rule is the pour hole has to be at the highest point, so when pouring and cooling you'll have to orient the mold so the pour hole is up. Also, on a large bait leave enough of a reservoir in your pour hole in case you need to add hot plastic to account for shrinkage.
With large plastics that don't want to stay straight, it's helpful run steel or brass wires thru the floppy parts to keep them oriented the way you want.
good luck with the project, let us know if you need more info!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making