Crankbaits

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Crankbaits

Postby Caja » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Crankbaits made with super plastic and alumifoam, painted with copic airbrush and alumiuv. Red/vermilion craw was on fire. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... Qjb-5Wb6Qr
Caja

Re: Crankbaits

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Nice work! Do you have any close up pics of the lure you can share?
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Caja » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:34 am

Caja

Postby dahlberg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 am

Those look really good. also looks like brass wire-thru which should be solid as a rock and easy to tune. I noticed the rough spots, which is often an issue with any foam casting material. I've been using good old automotive Bondo to fill the rough spots and it really works well, is super fast drying, easy to sand and solves the problem of rough spots, pits and irregularities! Be sure to get the two part type. The single, non mix stuff that comes in a tube takes forever to dry and is only good to fill tiny pin holes, . if even that.
Keep on gooping!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Caja » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Been experimenting with mold materials the high strength 3 for bottom half and quick set for the top half seems to help with alumifoam smoothness and finish. The 2.5 size casts a lot better than the smaller 1.5 size. Pretty cool to catch bass slam in a day on a homemade lure and several really nice smallmouth, largemouth, and spotted bass over the last couple of years. The extra floatation of these crankbaits really seems to make a difference when compared to standard strike king and lucky craft squarebills. I am not too concerned with the finishing of my lures, the action and vibration just needs to be right for the bass. I have also played with lip material, lexan and circuit board. Lexan seems to hold up better in river shoals. The constant cranking rock with circuit board will loosen in alumifoam.
Caja

Postby dahlberg » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:22 am

You are so right about the buoyancy and getting bit. I'm a straight plat 55 guy when it comes to using the foams. Ditto on the lip material.
Keep gooping! Wishing you a Merry Xmas and great New Year!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making