Alumilite White tiny holes

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumilite White tiny holes

Postby Wvsharptooth » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:44 pm

I built 7” Musky glide baits from a custom aluminum mold I struggled to get a flawless consistent exterior that is ready for primer or paint . I preheat the mold to around 80 degrees before using and I the baits come out of the mold the looking good to the naked eye but when primed or painted hundreds of very tiny holes become visible... I’m using 2oz of A 2oz B 1 oz micro balloons I know the obvious is moisture in microballoons but I have purchased new balloons as well as resin and always pour with humidity less than 40%. Any ideas? Or is this as good as it gets? Thanks
Wvsharptooth

Re: Alumilite White tiny holes

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:29 pm

hmmm, I'm not sure about that one. You're dead on about the moisture when it comes to urethane, but this seems odd. What happens if you don't pre heat your mold? Does the left over material in the mixing container also have little dots after it cures? Do you have a pressure pot? I'm pretty sure that would take care of any bubble issues you're having. We'll have to get Mike the Goop King to weigh in on this one. sorry you're having issues. we'll do the best we can to help you get it worked out.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Wvsharptooth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks Larry, the warmer the mold the better the outcome do you think maybe I’m not preheating it enough?
Wvsharptooth

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I wonder.......is it "fish eyes" forming in the prime coat? If you put the primer coat on too wet/thick it will pull back from surface tension leaving what is called fish eyes.

If you can save a picture to the cloud and then give us a link to see it it might help to determine what it is.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:28 am

I’ve had this happen too- I just opted to put a really thin smear of some spackle over the porous areas let it dry and gave it a quick buff before painting again- they make some spackle with built in primer which is nice when it’s time to paint
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making