Mr. Whiggley mold

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Mr. Whiggley mold

Postby LooperFlies » Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Larry,

I'm hitting a brick wall when trying to locate a few R2S Mr. Whiggley and have found out, after calling the company, that this lure has been discontinued. I'm in need of several colors. Can you point me to a source that can provide either a mold or can make the lure?

Thanks,
Looper
LooperFlies

Re: Mr. Whiggley mold

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 am

Sorry, but the only way I know is to make 'em. We hope to get Mr Whigs back in production pretty soon. Had so many problems with early batches it was maddening, but if you got some that worked, as you must have, they really can be killer. I'm curious as to what you were using them for?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby LooperFlies » Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 am

Larry,

Thank you for the response - I'm hoping to learn how to make them! We use them for musky and striper here in TN. There's nothing that moves like a Whig.

I'm wanting to dive headfirst into lure making, specifically soft plastics. I've watched your videos on YouTube, and I've acquired a microwave to sacrifice to the mess. I'm currently tie flies on a commercial level, but have never tried lure making.

We have one original Whiggley left. I'm hoping to use it to cast a master mold to make more. After speaking with the team at Alumilite, in order to make a mold, I need a system to remove the gas from the product that becomes the mold. Is there another option when making a mold?

Thanks,
Looper
www.looper-flies.mybigcommerce.com
LooperFlies

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm

If you use high strength 2 and mix it properly, I don't think you will have any issues not using a vacuum pot., especially a two piece mold only a few inches thick. If you let it set in a cool environment, even the fridge until the bubbles come out it should be fine.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making